Guardian Automatic market switching improvements

Help improve Bet Angel.
Wolf1877

The Guardian automatic market switching is great but the "Market Switch Time" of x seconds across ALL selected Guardian Markets is far too basic.

UPDATE 16/09/2017
Today I used the Bet Angel Automation rule type "Switch To This Market" to sucessfully switch markets at specific preset times in my absence (many thanks to ShaunWhite for suggesting). Basically this covers my suggestion (3) but it also means that I can also achieve the potential benefits of my suggestion (1).
THIS SUGGESTION CAN GO ON HOLD FOR THE TIME BEING. THANKS.

Suggestions
(1) I'd like to be able to exclude individual events from auto switching while still keeping them in overall Guardian tracking.
(2) It would also be great if the end of one event could "Auto switch to next event" instead of the blunt "Market Switch Time" - i.e. Maybe switch from Event A to Next Event (say when Event A is "In-play" or when Event-A is finished, then switch to the next event in the list)
(3) More of a "Nice To Have" than (1) and (2) and not really needed if suggestion (2) is implemented. Maybe have the option of an individual "Market Switch Time" for specified markets. So for example I might want to auto switch to the St Leger race 30 minutes before start time while leaving everything else on a 10 minute auto switch.

Background
Today (15/09/2017) there are 4 UK/Ireland afternoon meetings Doncaster/Sandown/Chester/Listowel that I wanted to automatically track via Excel on auto pilot while I am away from my PC. Listowel races start only 5 minutes after Sandown races while other events have at least a 10 minute gap.

So if I set a Market Switch Time of 450 seconds (7.5 minutes) the Listowel auto switching would completely screw up my Sandown tracking.
If I set a Market Switch Time of 150 seconds (2.5 minutes) I would be losing the a lot of detailed 200ms updates at the business end of the Doncaster/Sandown/Chester Markets unnecessarily.I've had to completely remove Listowel from my Guardian list today because of the existing limitations of software.

If suggestion (1) above was implemented I could have just left Guardian auto tracking on (i.e. on slow refresh) for Listowel markets today while still keeping at least 7.5 minutes of 200ms updates active for the closing stages of the Doncaster/Sandown/Chester markets.

If suggestion (2) above was implemented I could maximise my 200ms tracking at the business end of each individual market without wasting time caused by trying to make a best guess estimate of when the previous races might actually start and finish. Auto switch to the next event could be say as soon as say the race was "in play" or as soon as the race was finished and no time would be wasted. That could give me on average 10 to 15 minutes of automated 200ms tracking on the next event and would also make sure I didnt fail to track the latter stages of delayed events.
Last edited by Wolf1877 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaunWhite

How about using 20ms updates?
Auto switching only affects the market displayed, not any interaction with Excel.
Market switching is a rule so you could use a different one for each event if you wanted to.
Are you confusing Market Switch with Restrict Refresh ?
Wolf1877

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:21 pm
Auto switching only affects the market displayed, not any interaction with Excel.
Market switching is a rule so you could use a different one for each event if you wanted to.
I'd be happy to learn if a faster option is available but I'm assuming that you are joking. The betfair/betangel market refresh limit is 200ms to my knowledge.

I disagree. Using the Automatically Switch Bet Angel facility on the Guardian Markets screen makes the market active in Bet Angel. The active market receives BetFair market updates at the speed selected in the BA "Refresh Every" dropdown. The active market refresh rate DOES considerably speed up the Guardian Excel refresh for THAT INDIVIDUAL MARKET. The non active markets continue to be refreshed at the standard Guardian cycle speed of 1 second per market in the Guardian cycle. So if 10 markets are cycling in Guardian each market receives an standard Guardian update approx every 10 seconds. I have developed my own excel control sheet that shows me the speed of updates coming in to the various Guardian bound excel worksheets within the workbook. I see an instant response when a market becomes selected either automatically or manually. I have also captured plenty of data using this feature.

This looks like something I might be able to use. I'm a BA newbie so there will be plenty I dont know. I'll investigate. It would still be better to have an easy way of filtering out Markets that I definitely dont want to Auto Switch to.

No - I use restrict refresh as well and I fully understand how it works. It helps me to speed up my guardian cycle speed by restricting to markets beginning in between 1 and 2 hours time. This is not the same thing as full speed updates received by the active market.
mjmorris335

Wolf1877 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:22 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
I'd be happy to learn if a faster option is available but I'm assuming that you are joking. The betfair/betangel market refresh limit is 200ms to my knowledge.
From what I've read of Shaun's posts, it's patently obvious when he's joking.

Go to Settings|Edit Settings|Communications and check 'Use Exchange Streaming'. That'll give you the option of 20ms refresh.

Mike
Wolf1877

mjmorris335 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:50 pm
Wolf1877 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:22 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
From what I've read of Shaun's posts, it's patently obvious when he's joking.

Go to Settings|Edit Settings|Communications and check 'Use Exchange Streaming'. That'll give you the option of 20ms refresh.

Mike
Mike, thanks for elaborating on Shaun's comment regarding 20ms.
Shaun, thanks for the useful tip about the 20ms streaming option and sorry for misinterpreting.

I should add that I am a new BA user but technically I'm fairly competent as I have been writing code and processing data in other fields for years.

As a new BA user I have been digesting lots of information in a short period and I had seen something about a 200ms limit that betfair imposes. I just looked again and the page below advises that there is a 200ms limit for polled data and a 20ms limit for exchange data. This is probably where the confusion arises.

https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/ref ... _odds.html

As a new user I am still using the default setting of polled refresh. With polled information the active market does affect Guardian excel data refresh rate. Perhaps under the hood Guardian doesnt refresh excel when using exchange streaming. If so this might explain the difference between my observation of what Guardian does what Shaun sees (assuming he uses streaming).

Return to “Suggestions”