Australian Rules on in-play trading

Cards37

Hi all

I am after some guidance on reading the rules/legislation governing in-play betfair transactions in Australia. Particularly I am interested in researching whether the legal liability is on the provider to restrict, or the individual not to participate. Grateful for any assistance for plain-english interpretations - although happy to read legislation directly if needed.

Many thanks!
whimsies

I live in Australia and can only bet inplay on horse racing, I once tired using a vpn although this worked I got a letter from betfair stating I done a federal offence as based in australia.

cheers

Mark
Derek27

Hi,

Out of curiosity what restrictions do you have in Australia placing bets using the Betfair website or trading software?

Are you unable to place bets pre-race anywhere or is the restriction specific to courses or regions?

Derek
Cards37

whimsies wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:22 am
I live in Australia and can only bet inplay on horse racing, I once tired using a vpn although this worked I got a letter from betfair stating I done a federal offence as based in australia.

cheers

Mark
Interesting. While I do not want to engage in illegal activity I thought the whole point of the VPN is to mask your location?
Cards37

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:29 am
Hi,

Out of curiosity what restrictions do you have in Australia placing bets using the Betfair website or trading software?

Are you unable to place bets pre-race anywhere or is the restriction specific to courses or regions?

Derek
Pre-race is fine. In-play for racing is fine. In- play for sports is not allowed online - but you can via telephone. Go figure.

I would really like to get into tennis trading but can't see how I can do it here :(

The thing I find most frustrating is that all this law does is prevent sharper bettors from pursuing an edge and prevents loss-minimisation as well.
whimsies

Betfair no when a VPN is being used. Hypoteticaly not that I would engage in illegal activerties ;) I would get a VPS server in the UK and get a family member to set an account for me where the restrictions dont apply

cheers
MemphisFlash

that is fraud. also illegal!!!
Cards37

Indeed Memphis. I'm not looking to do anything like that.

Rather it is an interesting debate, not unlike the debate around geoblocking with streaming services, Netflix and the like. We live in an increasingly digital age where I think legal frameworks at time seem nonsensical - eg you can bet in play via the phone but not on the internet.
Derek27

MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 am
It may breach Betfair's terms & conditions or even the law, but how does it amount to fraud?
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 pm
MemphisFlash wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 am
It may breach Betfair's terms & conditions or even the law, but how does it amount to fraud?
Impersonating another person makes it deception, ie fraudulent.

Return to “Australian”