eToro

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
sionascaig

I struggle to see past the charges & inherent risks... The exchange takes a cut, the platform takes a cut and then you have the spreads & charges for individual trades... The regulation is extremely opaque if it exists at all (Gibralter, Isle of Man, Cyprus seriously - there is a good reason the platforms are based off-shore).

Its a big financial scandal waiting to happen but hee haw you can do about it given the weak off shore regulation.

So have some fun, maybe you will be one of the few who makes a nice profit but be prepared to lose the lot & walk away with a smile on your face. Then again why bother when you can get 6 to 8 bps charge from from a direct investment house based in the UK?

There was an article in the FT a few years ago: https://www.ft.com/content/fa905d08-a60 ... 144feab7de which states that a company offering a copy trading service still needs to ensure that the investments are suitable for customers taking into account their financial & personal circumstances. Did anyone using this feature experience the due diligence from eToro which they are required to provide under FCA licence?

(and that licence may expire unless Brexit allows for European financial passport to continue or some other mechanism)

Feeling better after that rant ) (almost time for some cricket trading !!!)
ruthlessimon

It's the obscure countries which get me!

Abdul, Pakistan +43%
Nazer, Kazakhstan +21%
Deba, Congo +33%
Jesus, Mexico +62%

As a twisted project, startup an "anti-social trading platform". Seed it with 50,000 bots each trading random strategies. Good chance a couple will be up 20%+ in a year. Then just watch the commisions flow in!! Not a half bad business model :twisted: :roll:
Iron

That's very impressive - that's up there with the likes of Ray Dalio!

What proportion of your bank were you risking per trade?

How does that figure compare with previous years?

Jeff
Euler wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm
You would have been up around 40% last year if I did!
sionascaig

ruthlessimon wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Abdul, Pakistan +43%
Nazer, Kazakhstan +21%
Deba, Congo +33%
Jesus, Mexico +62%

As a twisted project, startup an "anti-social trading platform". Seed it with 50,000 bots each trading random strategies. Good chance a couple will be up 20%+ in a year. Then just watch the commisions flow in!! Not a half bad business model :twisted: :roll:
Exactly, but they dont even need the bots just a few hundred from the 400k plus members and there will always be someone that appears to be good - same princicple as darren browne's how to win seven horse races in a row - just place a bet on every horse in every race and just show people the winning tickets...
Euler

ruthlessimon wrote:

Abdul, Pakistan +43%
Nazer, Kazakhstan +21%
Deba, Congo +33%
Jesus, Mexico +62%

I think that's the main problem really, perfectly feasible to make an income by using random portfolios and being on the right edge of the bell curve.
RicHep365

Euler wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 am
ruthlessimon wrote:

Abdul, Pakistan +43%
Nazer, Kazakhstan +21%
Deba, Congo +33%
Jesus, Mexico +62%

I think that's the main problem really, perfectly feasible to make an income by using random portfolios and being on the right edge of the bell curve.
I recall some jokers tried to do a similar thing with betfair bots, they had circa 25 bots running and using the system their users could choose to follow the best performing ones, of course results wise they could always claim it was possible to have made a profit by following a, b and c then switching to x, y and z, but in reality you would have no way of knowing which ones would do well at which time.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”