Fatigue & Maintaining Concentration

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
ricardodeano

Hello there all.

Yes, so my questions all stem from the above really? As a newbie starting out trading the afternoon markets, I find my concentration dropping and discipline slipping after say, 7-9 trades.

Is this a common experience for pre off horse traders? Do experienced traders suffer from this? If so, how do you go about giving your brain a rest in between sessions?

Or do we think it is because I am a newbie and my focus is quite intense at the moment, that these lapses are inevitable in this early stage of learning?

Any advice always appreciated

Rich
ruthlessimon

If it helps Rich, I'm a big sufferer of this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I lost the vid, but I snapped this for my Evernote a while back. I'll try find the vid. But the gist was, to treat it like interval training. (x)mins laser focus, (x)mins chill out (I find music or the forum pretty cathartic). Rinse & repeat, then gradually adjust the volume & intensity. In fact knowing my focus limits was one of the big draws to me deciding to only trade the shortie markets. Which atm is usually 5mins on, 45mins off 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

I got for a walk, which may involve skipping trading, at least once an hour. I've found that keeps my focus at an optimal level. My apple watch annoys me repeatedly on this matter and is quite helpful.
Euler

You may want to read up on the Yerkes Dobson law

PERFORMANCE-CURVE1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ricardodeano

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm
If it helps Rich, I'm a big sufferer of this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I lost the vid, but I snapped this for my Evernote a while back. I'll try find the vid. But the gist was, to treat it like interval training. (x)mins laser focus, (x)mins chill out (I find music or the forum pretty cathartic). Rinse & repeat, then gradually adjust the volume & intensity. In fact knowing my focus limits was one of the big draws to me deciding to only trade the shortie markets. Which atm is usually 5mins on, 45mins off 8-)
Hi Simon - thanks for that insight, most appreciated. in regards to the image, what does the 3 strikes rule refer to? 3 bad losses and just knock it on the head for the day?
ricardodeano

Euler wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 pm
I got for a walk, which may involve skipping trading, at least once an hour. I've found that keeps my focus at an optimal level. My apple watch annoys me repeatedly on this matter and is quite helpful.
Hello Peter

Again, thanks for the insight. I think a bit of physical exercise between trading sessions is definitely a good idea, especially since I spend most of my day on my arse anyway!

And as for Yerkes–Dodson law, I'll have a delve into it this weekend - I would imagine I studied that at university (being Bsc Psychology graduate) but unfortunately I suspect I was drunk during those lectures (like most)
ruthlessimon

ricardodeano wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:35 am
in regards to the image, what does the 3 strikes rule refer to? 3 bad losses and just knock it on the head for the day?
Ah yes, that bit was interesting. Instead of having time-based focus intervals; the trader only takes a break if he starts to make mistakes. These included: missing a good trade, fat finger trades, being way off plan. The challenge is to continuously extend the time before he makes 3 mistakes. I don't think the trader quit for the day after having 3 strikes, but certainly would get up off the desk for a bit.
ruthlessimon

Euler wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 pm
I got for a walk, which may involve skipping trading, at least once an hour. I've found that keeps my focus at an optimal level.
That's a fascinating insight; & also demonstrates the power of seeing a top trader in the flesh. Being able to just witness the daily routine (on an average day); would be such an eye opener for a lot of people. perhaps some CaseyNeistat style vlogging is in order :lol:
stueytrader

I've noticed fatigue has certainly been a negative factor for me, when it's gone bad (recently).

I spent too long in sessions, less breaking and almost all of my big meltdowns came late into a trading run.
SeaHorseRacing

I trade each market individually. I dont look at my balance throughout the day. When you become autopilot you eventually do as you need.
When you forget about pressure and desperation to make money you will listen to your body and the right thing to do.

When your at work... if your hungry or need a loo break you just go but with trading you dont do that. I used to trade everything everyday... now at times im looking for excuses just to stop for 20 mins to make a cuppa.

Think about changing mindset and try and do as your body says... if youve been working a 9-5 all day and your tired teach yourself to go to bed not trade when you get home...

If you worked on an hourly rate pay... you wouldnt every hour work out your accumulating earnings for the day... the same applies to paying bills.. you wouldnt treat that as say 10 hours pay off my only 3 hours ive worked today. So now im losing money today..

Treat trading like a day job and when your not mentally or well enough right to trade you wont trade.

Return to “Trading Psychology”