Addicted to trading ?

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
ShaunWhite

Addiction is the manifestation of a lack of self control, it's an undesirable weakness.

From experience I often find people use the word 'addicted' to mask simple selfishness. They're not addicted, they're just doing what they want to do, and would easily be able to moderate their behaviour without having a nervous breakdown.

Being addicted often means you're doing something you don't actually want to do. What's being described here is obsession, not addiction.
northbound

stueytrader wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm
I'd be fairly confident that there are plenty successful people who would also fit the criteria for being 'addicted' to their main activities - business, art, sport etc etc

It's potentially not a bad thing in relation to success
+1

In fact every field is so competitive nowadays. Like it or not, you’re up against people who are willing to dedicate 16hr per day to their chosen field.

People who talk about work/life balance make me laugh. Only after succeeding you can perhaps rest by automating certain stuff, freeing up time.

If you really want to succeed, that is.

If instead you just want to “be a trader”: just rent a private jet for 10min, take selfies, create fake P/L, post it on social media. People will see you as a trader.

https://medium.com/the-mission/don-t-do ... 7cab5139b4
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 pm
From experience I often find people use the word 'addicted' to mask simple selfishness.
I once had a girlfriend who objected to polluting your body with unnatural substances including caffeine, but claimed she was addicted to chocolate!

The silly hypocritical cow wanted me to give up drinking but expected me to understand she can't stop eating chocolate because she's addicted. :evil:
ShaunWhite

northbound wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:40 pm
People who talk about work/life balance make me laugh. Only after succeeding you can perhaps rest by automating certain stuff, freeing up time.

If you really want to succeed, that is.
Success is acheived through personal contentment, that could be money, it could be a well rounded life. The accumulation of money isn't inherently an indicator of success. Those who measure contentment in sterling are rarely content as they're often insatiable.

The term 'success' just means the accomplishment of an aim or purpose, it doesn't mention money and the term has been bastardised and misinterpretted since the 80s.

You laugh at people who have different life goals, I laugh at those who see a wealthy person and call them successful. They might well have nothing they truely wanted from life, and if that's the case they're a failure not a success.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:25 pm
The silly hypocritical cow wanted me to give up drinking but expected me to understand she can't stop eating chocolate because she's addicted. :evil:
To be fair Derek, chocolate does have a physiological effect of your dopamine receptors which is addictive. She needed another way to get that stimulation, I think that was supposed to be your job. :) If she still needed the chocs then maybe your sweet sweet lovin' wasn't hitting the spot. :?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:12 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:25 pm
To be fair Derek, chocolate does have a physiological effect of your dopamine receptors which is addictive. She needed another way to get that stimulation, I think that was supposed to be your job. :) If she still needed the chocs then maybe your sweet sweet lovin' wasn't hitting the spot. :?
She was a 'no sex before marriage' Christian!

Needless to say, the relationship didn't last long. Don't envy her husband if she ever did get married.
northbound

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm
You laugh at people who have different life goals
No Shaun, I laugh at people who believe that in order to succeed in any field, you can just turn up, do your shift, then bugger off.

How can one expect to succeed in a competitive field with that mentality when you’re up against many people willing to work twice as much?

There are many people with this losing mentality, which is why sellers who sell systems seem to prosper.

On another note, you’re right that wealth doesn’t necessarily mean success. But my comment was about being addicted to / obsessed with a specific activity at which you want to succeed.

As you rigthly said, it might well happen that one succeeds then he doesn’t really find fullfilment in that success.
ShaunWhite

I agree northbound now I've understood more about where you're coming from.

It's was just my std reply for the Gordon Gecko characters, I shouldn't have misjudged you so quickly.
northbound

No worries.
Strela_999

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:34 pm
She was a 'no sex before marriage' Christian!

Needless to say, the relationship didn't last long. Don't envy her husband if she ever did get married.
Oh, THAT explains a lot. These people still exist? In real life, I mean? Color me surprised. Anyways, she was quite right to eat chocolate, as there was one hell of a serious lack of dopamine in her life...
Derek27

I'm going back 25 years and believe me, I wouldn't have been with her if I could get my end away at the time. But I'm sure those people still exist!
Derek27

At least horse racing is pretty much 24/7 except for Christmas day. As I'm now focused on footie and got up at 5pm, I now have to wait until sunrise for the next tradable match, and then nothing until evening. :x

And it's most unfortunate while reviving this thread that I'm reminded about that ex-girlfriend - I had forgotten all about her. :lol:
Derek27

How time flies when you put up a flipping Christmas tree and get the lights to work. I could have written some extra material for the late Dave Allen, I can tell you. :lol:
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:13 am
At least horse racing is pretty much 24/7 except for Christmas day. As I'm now focused on footie and got up at 5pm, I now have to wait until sunrise for the next tradable match, and then nothing until evening. :x
Swap the schedule around for footy then?

Maybe have a look at longer term preoff stuff, a lot of stuff going on and some big moves with the next 2 Spurs matches and Bayern etc.
Derek27

If anyone suffers withdrawal symptoms, there's a Thai League 1 match at midday, Christmas Day. ;)

Return to “Trading Psychology”