Leaving Las Vegas

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
gazuty

Today I’m leaving Las Vegas.

And sitting in the airport I am just struck by a thought that may help some deal with losses.

If you own a poker machine you would generally make money and occasionally payout. I think in Vegas the payout rate around 90% (I never play - it doesn’t float my boat as entertainment). So work for a small edge and then milk it relentlessly is the Vegas motto.

Hope the Christmas and New Year period is treating you all well. And I see that DALLAS has kicked off the Aussie Open thread. I’ll be home just in time.

Gaz

PS for some irony this morning at the Bellagio they were playing Steely Dan’s Do it Again as I wandered at 6 am to get a latte for the Mrs. good song and so ironic to play in Vegas given the clear themes.
wearthefoxhat

gazuty wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:05 pm
Today I’m leaving Las Vegas.

And sitting in the airport I am just struck by a thought that may help some deal with losses.

If you own a poker machine you would generally make money and occasionally payout. I think in Vegas the payout rate around 90% (I never play - it doesn’t float my boat as entertainment). So work for a small edge and then milk it relentlessly is the Vegas motto.

Hope the Christmas and New Year period is treating you all well. And I see that DALLAS has kicked off the Aussie Open thread. I’ll be home just in time.

Gaz

PS for some irony this morning at the Bellagio they were playing Steely Dan’s Do it Again as I wandered at 6 am to get a latte for the Mrs. good song and so ironic to play in Vegas given the clear themes.
Have a safe journey back.

I'll be out there for the WSOP this year. They're celebrating their 50th year so should be fun.
ShaunWhite

gazuty wrote:
At the other end of the glitz scale, I once knew a guy with 2 crappy one-armed bandits on Skeg pier. The sort you think nobody ever plays. They paid for him to have 2 Caribbean hols a year and he'd collect the money every weekend during the summer season in 2 buckets.

Drip, drip, drip.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:52 pm
gazuty wrote:
At the other end of the glitz scale, I once knew a guy with 2 crappy one-armed bandits on Skeg pier. The sort you think nobody ever plays. They paid for him to have 2 Caribbean hols a year and he'd collect the money every weekend during the summer season in 2 buckets.

Drip, drip, drip.
I wouldn't mind owning a fruit machine that's been modified so that it never ever pays out. ;)
PeterLe

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:20 pm
I wouldn't mind owning a fruit machine that's been modified so that it never ever pays out. ;)
[/quote]

Drop an Email to Fred done he may be able to help you there :D

Return to “Trading Psychology”