How much data before eliminating markets?

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
ruthlessimon

eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm
I think we can all agree it would be too soon to tweak things after 1 market
Debatable; because "exemplar markets" can yield edges we haven't even contemplated

A 50tick lay loss on a single race (trading the current strategy); only to realise in hindsight the market had already drifted 50ticks - "I wonder what would've happened, long term, if we had backed that pattern?"
spreadbetting

eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm
Created a bot for the Image's

I'm letting it trade uninterrupted for a while to see how it gets on.

What's a sensible number of markets to enable meaningful evaluation of things like:
- Tuesday vs. Sunday
- Morning vs. Evening
- Newcastle vs. Doncaster
- Open Races vs. Handicaps

Cheers

Seems to me you'll be backfitting your data no matter how many markets you let it run with those type of variables.
eightbo

ruthlessimon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 pm
eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 pm
I think we can all agree it would be too soon to tweak things after 1 market
Debatable; because "exemplar markets" can yield edges we haven't even contemplated

A 50tick lay loss on a single race (trading the current strategy); only to realise in hindsight the market had already drifted 50ticks - "I wonder what would've happened, long term, if we had backed that pattern?"
That's too deep even for me

p.s. @MemphisFlash I see you. Let's get down to business I know that youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, you've got what I neeeeeeeeeeed
Last edited by eightbo on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eightbo

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:36 pm
Seems to me you'll be backfitting your data no matter how many markets you let it run with those type of variables.
Hi there. Thank you for your input. LinusP has already mentioned this.
Kindly ignore these variables and replace them in your head with those you deem useful. At what point is sensible to begin adjusting iyo?
ruthlessimon

eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 pm
Too deep?? :D

Come on 8; we're not on the Geek's forum any more - this is real trader talk ;)
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 am
eightbo wrote:
Too deep?? :D
Come on 8; we're not on the Geek's forum any more - this is real trader talk ;)
Harsh....I've no idea what you're talking about either :)

Deep is fine if you're in a gold mine, but there's a lot of these too. :D
Domestic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

eightbo wrote:
Let's get down to business I know that youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, you've got what I neeeeeeeeeeed
No shortcuts eightbo. You want that Beemer you want that Merc, money, cars, clothes those are the perks, but to get there you gotta put in that work ;)
ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 am
Harsh....
Ruthless? :D
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:22 am
I've no idea what you're talking about either :)
Basically; it was my (maybe in hindsight, yah somewhat confusing ;) ) interpretation of this quote i.e. redesigning the strategy to profit from the huge losers - without harming the winners (if poss)
Euler wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:43 am
When I first started trading I went for the one fits all approached and just tried a generic strategy across all markets. I then started cutting out errors, basically where my biggest losses were, and that led me to a selective approach for that strategy.
spreadbetting

eightbo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:36 pm
Hi there. Thank you for your input. LinusP has already mentioned this.
Kindly ignore these variables and replace them in your head with those you deem useful. At what point is sensible to begin adjusting iyo?
You should be prepared to adjust any bot from day 1 if you can find a valid reason why something isn't working and by that I don't mean simply looking at the pnl. The pnl may indicate something might not be working but won't be a reason it's not. We've no idea what your initial idea is or the variables that it operates from so it's pointless giving some vague number of markets. Big errors usually become obvious very quickly if you've a rigid plan.

The variables you posted up would simply resolve themselves to liquidity for me and my dog bot adjusts for that. If your bot is gambling there's plenty of data already available for you to have checked those variables against.
eightbo

Shaun you are a legend. First you're teaching me about Women's Shoewear next you're wittily linking a grime track.

Ruthlessimon (Simon?) I don't know where you get all these quotes from but if you're willing to share more please do.

Spreadbetting thank you for the information. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to automation so expecting a lot of my assumptions are probably wrong/off. I am expecting to adjust for liquidity when scaling and after some thought, the comparisons in the 1st post shouldn't be relevant as if the automation triggers, I'm happy to take the trade. I think I'll compare the courses etc. anyway out of curiosity once I've got more data but I'll be sure not to change anything until I've isolated a solid reason.

—   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —   —

Will see if I can put something together using Excel next to begin recording info for future ref.

If anyone can think of any threads which may help re: anything automation I'd love if they could be posted.
Did have a search but the keywords overlap in so many threads.
ruthlessimon

eightbo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm
I don't know where you get all these quotes from but if you're willing to share more please do.
Let's take this one, & let's reverse engineer it
LinusP wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm
I don’t think any of those variables you have listed are valid for filtering markets.
All the variables you listed were discrete; which implies Linus's trading is probably based around continuous variables

Which we can somewhat confirm, because of the quality of his data. He's got everything

viewtopic.php?p=172850#p172850
ShaunWhite

eightbo wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm
Shaun you are a legend. First you're teaching me about Women's Shoewear next you're wittily linking a grime track.
:D cheers. I try to follow the BBC's remit; to inform, educate and entertain. That's BBC not BBK ;)

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”