Next best exhange to Betfair?

legerbet57

Unfortunately, due to a cock up on my part and a misunderstanding from a Betfair employee, I have been self excluded by Betfair and can't get my account back open again.

So whats the next best exchange? I'm not a major player. Profits are between £100-£200 a week with the odd losing week and I'm mainly betting on televised football and cricket with a splattering of other sports.
Bluesky

When I do some match betting I try and use smarkets when I can due to their lower commissions. You cant use BA with smarkets though, so you will need to look at betdaq. If I was you however I would try and speak to someone with a bit of authority in betfair and explain the mistake you made and ask if you could undo the self exclusion.
legerbet57

Thanks. I've tried for the past fortnight to get BF to reverse their decision. I had 3 accounts and wanted to close one (long story) and explained why I wanted to close it. They then shut down the other two accounts as well (I was supposed to only have one anyway apparently but I've had them around 15 years) they claimed I had self excluded myself (I hadn't) I have no objection to just having the one account but they refuse to let me keep one of them. A chief bod has apparently listened to the recording but they still won't budge, claiming the guy I spoke to had explained the self exclusion process. All he said was we can close the account temporarily or close it permanently, and I said close it permanently cos I wont be using it again.

Will look at Betdaq, thanks.
spreadbetting

Threaten to go to ibas that may get get them to look at it again especially if they have a record of the conversation. My experience with Betfair has always been you need to go above the CS staff to find anyone with common sense there.
sealebet

If the phone conversation suggests you wanted to close your account permanently, BF open themselves to a lot more risk by reopening it.
If they reopen it and then you lose lots of money, you could then take them to court.
ShaunWhite

sealebet wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm
If the phone conversation suggests you wanted to close your account permanently, BF open themselves to a lot more risk by reopening it.
If they reopen it and then you lose lots of money, you could then take them to court.
+1
The whole point of self exclusion is to protect people who would then reopen their account and do the same again day after day. It's like pleading guilty, you can't say you just did it for convenience, you're on record as a wrong un. It's strange you chose self exclusion, your best chance is to explain that the full consequences weren't explained to you, but for BF to simply reopen self-excluded accounts for people who beg them to would be wreckless and irresponsible.
Euler

Wasn't 888 fined nearly £8m for allowing excluded customers the ability to bet again? I think it's something written in law, once excluded you can't reverse.
Euler

Betdaq is my next choice after Betfair as its the only other exchange that functions properly without much intervention from the host.
Rstrach

Euler wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm
Wasn't 888 fined nearly £8m for allowing excluded customers the ability to bet again? I think it's something written in law, once excluded you can't reverse.
Quite rightly so aswell!

The average punter can quickly turn to an addict and these people need protection 888 were profiting of vulnerability of the public in a way..

Peter, do you know if these poor sods ever got their money staked refunded or was it just a fine slapped on top dogs??
kerberus

There's going to be a Government Review next month into the gambling industry - main area of concern is actually FOBT (fixed odds) - so they'll all want to be squeaky clean for the school inpectors :evil:
BBC.CO..UK
You and Yours 12.15 today
and :-
The Government is expected to announce a review of fixed-odds betting terminals (FOBTs) in the autumn. The Bishop of St Albans and writer Jimmy McGovern join the programme to discuss concerns that the machines may harm vulnerable people.
Y&Y 16 Aug 2017
They're due a visit from the God squad too!
:ugeek:

They want limits on amounts bet - if they watch Peter's Youtube videos - they'll wet themselves!
:mrgreen:
legerbet57

sealebet wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm
I explained the reason I wanted that particular account closed (nothing to do with self exclusion) and disn't realise it would have the same affect on the other two accounts.

A manager has apparently listened to the recording and has concluded that I was told it would be self exclusion. However, according to one of the CS bods it should have been explained to me the consequences of self exclusion and some other things. I certainly never asked self exclusion although it's possible this is what the CS bod suggested and I didn't understand what that meant in terms of gambling problems (which I don't have)

I'm going to send a subject access report to Betfair and listen to the recording myself, then follow that up with an official complaint if necessary and a referral to IBAS if that doesn't work. Thanks to the guy that suggested that.
legerbet57

Euler wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:26 pm
Betdaq is my next choice after Betfair as its the only other exchange that functions properly without much intervention from the host.
It doesn't work with my style of betting unfortunately. I don't do Horse Racing, and almost exclusively bet in play.

Been on the televised Italian match this morning (U/O 3.5 goals) and the first 20 minutes there was only me and whoever put up the odds playing. Then went on the India Innings runs and couldn't even enter the market. £775 matched compared to nearly a million matched on Betfair. That's a 99/1 difference even allowing for different ratios on bets matched.

Return to “Alternative betting exchanges, Smarkets, Matchbook etc.”