BetConnect - New Social Betting Platform

Derek27

jimibt wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:26 pm
As far as I can tell, it's an exchange where you have to declare whether you're a pro (backer) or punter (layer)!!

If you're a layer you have to trade with either a bookie or the exchange.
not looked yet, but the main question is 'how do they determine the *after*' (i.e. if you declare yourself one or 'tother) and if they find *issue* what is the redress!!

the open environment is to be welcomed but only if transparency prevails...
As far as I can tell it's just like an exchange except your account is set up as backing only or laying only. Don't be confused by their stupid terminology - a pro doesn't really have to be a pro but someone who wants to back, and a punter could either be a punter that 'follows' the pro or a bookie that accepts his bets. The ability to lay at bookie prices sounds quite exciting and could knock out some premium charge.
jimibt

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:19 pm
jimibt wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:26 pm
As far as I can tell, it's an exchange where you have to declare whether you're a pro (backer) or punter (layer)!!

If you're a layer you have to trade with either a bookie or the exchange.
not looked yet, but the main question is 'how do they determine the *after*' (i.e. if you declare yourself one or 'tother) and if they find *issue* what is the redress!!

the open environment is to be welcomed but only if transparency prevails...
As far as I can tell it's just like an exchange except your account is set up as backing only or laying only. Don't be confused by their stupid terminology - a pro doesn't really have to be a pro but someone who wants to back, and a punter could either be a punter that 'follows' the pro or a bookie that accepts his bets. The ability to lay at bookie prices sounds quite exciting and could knock out some premium charge.
prior to *this life*, i was a matched betting guy and made a pretty good penny using BF lay vs *an-other* bookie back (based on sign up offers). this worked well due to the offers given out by willhill, lads etc. however, on a purely arbs based basis, (despite having the tech to exploit), I never got involved beyond skimming the offers... if these new guys didn't limit based on winners (tho i'd be aiming for losers!), then maybe it would be worth reviewing again. that said, *my* heyday in all of this was 2014-2016, so times will have changed.
Derek27

I started arbing US racing in April 2017 and was done by June 2017 - all the bookies shut me down. :evil:
Naffman

Sounds good but won't work

As Peter says most big profitable players will be on the exchanges and I reckon most of them won't even use Betfair
SeaHorseRacing

What I find strange is the racingpost are writing topics on such bullshit? If they were aware of such struggles of placing a bet why don’t they just push the exchange???

They advertise all the different bookies but now seem to care about this platform.

If people find the exchanges confusing... how the hell would they understand this concept??

Utter waste of time.. I’m sorry but I think the next big thing has come and gone. It was nearly 20 years ago callled the exchanges.

Why don’t bookies modernise even like the banks. Stick tablets on their betting tables and allow people to bet on the exchange In store with cash and withdraw cash In store.

It would be a very simple concept. If you want to back you can simply use cash, no account needed.
If you want to lay.. you need an account... maybe some type of store card (integrity reasons)

Even Mac Donald’s have tablets on every table. A lot of bookies are still using telly text!!

Another 10 years until the government get to grips with betting restrictions and maybe that might happen.

I have to drive 25 mile just to get £100 on a horse and still I will not use this betconnected, it just won’t work.
Derek27

Got an email from BetConnect saying I'm on the waiting list!!!

Apparently the number of punters are limited, presumably to balance with the number of 'pros'.
SeaHorseRacing

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:11 am
Got an email from BetConnect saying I'm on the waiting list!!!

Apparently the number of punters are limited, presumably to balance with the number of 'pros'.
It’s just a scam for some heavy bettors to get their bets laid. As simple as that.

A few guys are fed up of not getting on so this how they will.
Derek27

I'd be happy to lay some of that money if it's at bookie prices.
weemac

The only ones you'll lay at bookie prices will be the ones the bookies don't want to lay at bookie prices.
Naffman

And you'll be laying them as soon as the odds come out or in the morning

As SHR says it's just a quick easy way for pros to get on until people find out they're just being treated for mugs
SeaHorseRacing

Naffman wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:00 pm
And you'll be laying them as soon as the odds come out or in the morning

As SHR says it's just a quick easy way for pros to get on until people find out they're just being treated for mugs
This is the problem... I feel they’re is a lot of people going to be suckered by this...

For example.. I can’t get a bet on locally most days... however I can always ask my neighbour or misses. Excuse me can you put £50 on this for me... thanks.

The whole point of this app/site is so professionals can have a decent bet. Do you really want to be laying them???
There PRO’s for a reason.

Yes there are non pros who cant place a bet. As any bookie will shut you down if you can show any signs of money mamagement. But your average punter struggling to get a bet on can easily find someone to stick a bet on.

It’s just a stupid idea. I know a few very big and clever professionals who are paying 18 yrs kids £100s to use betting accounts and they are doing this daily.

These are the people’s money you would be laying.

I know a chap. Who is making millions a year. He bets inside information on bookies (industry) prices and lays his money on the exchanges near post time.
If anyone tries you can’t get £500 on a 3/1 shot at 8am without taking the price out.

I’d say most gamblers these days are only interested at getting on at a price. Come post time you can lay it off.

If your a VIP customer (loser) for any bookmaker. Send me a message I know someone who will take it off you for a few hundred quid.
SeaHorseRacing

I’m sat on the fence tbh, one of the main real reasons bookies are closing accounts so easily over recent times is the mere fact that there are individuals trashing through theses accounts making a lot of money. Bookies are very scared of these types
Derek27

I've been invited to Join. They say in the email Since betconnect is in Public Beta, not everything will be perfect. I thought fair enough, Betfair has been in business for 20 years and nothing's perfect.

Filled in the registration form, double checked the details - the submit button is not working!!

Edit: Didn't like a space in my username.
Derek27

I prepared my spreadsheet to calculate stakes for free bets, free lays and green-ups, unlocked my first bet, and got completely thrown by an each-way bet!

I entirely forgot each-way betting exists! :lol:
Derek27

Laid Characteristic each-way at 6.5, backed it at 8.4 on the exchange but could have got 12.5, so I think there is some potential in this. Could do without pissing about with place bets.
Characteristic, 19-45 Kempton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Alternative betting exchanges, Smarkets, Matchbook etc.”