Kodi - Home Theatre Software

trueblue75

I cancelled sky a year ago when a bought an android box. Watch any football i`m interested in also horse racing.
Great for my 4 year old son to watch things on too.
andyfuller

Cheers - hoping to have some time today to have a go at getting it up and running.
PeterLe

andyfuller wrote:Cheers - hoping to have some time today to have a go at getting it up and running.
Andy
Did you ever take a look at this?
I updated the build last night. I'm going to get a firestic for my son for his birthday and load it up with Kodi/Add ons. (I cant remember which web site i was on, but when I was looking to buy one, one web site had sold around 100 firesticks that day).
You can foresee a time when Sky wont have the stangle hold on subscribers (At one point I was paying around £90/Month!, I would imagine the average man in the street would find this expensive)
In the same way that Blockbuster went bust, you can see how it will affect Sky in the future...OK they wont go bust, but Im sure it will hit their profits..maybe there's a long term trade in there! ;)
regards
Peter
andyfuller

Hi mate - I haven't got around to doing this yet. It is on my list to do but finding the time to do it is the tricky bit.

I did start to look at doing it but at the time my hard drive was so full I didn't have the space to download the file so ordered an external hard drive but then kind of forgot about doing it with one thing and another - I shall try and get it done over Easter.

Let me know how you go with it.

Such things will effect Sky to an extent but tbh I don't think it will have a long term impact on them like it has with Blockbuster. The thing with block buster was that it was superceeded by a change in technology that made access to what it sold easier, i.e. streaming.

Many people, myself included, are happy to pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and I use their services as they provide an easy solution, where as via Kodi I could probably get the same content for free but Kodi requires a level of technological knowledge that most people just can't be bothered with and are happy to pay a premium for someone else to do the work for them and present it in a simple to use solution, i.e Sky, Netflix, Amazon.
shrishri

What recent Kodi add-ons are best for watching shows and movies?
shrishri

shrishri wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:50 pm
What recent Kodi add-ons are best for watching shows and movies?
I'm using exodus addon and it's working perfectly.
shrishri

This addon is breaking too much. I think there is some issue with an update. Instead of that, I'm using a website that is as good as these add-ons.
Kai

Haven't used Kodi in years so I'm not exactly in the loop about the latest add-ons. Not sure about football and other sports but it's probably still a decent alternative to Netflix and such. I only really needed it for football back then but I've heard that the so called "fully-loaded" Kodi boxes became extremely popular in the last few years, probably in the UK too.

However, I'm not from the UK so I'm not sure exactly about the legality of the whole thing over there. As far as I know Kodi itself is legal but it can become illegal if it's used to stream subscription channels for free, so please watch out for that.
eightbo

Yeah I believe that's correct Kai.

Generally in the UK, you're largely ignored as a viewer and the majority of the risk lies with the providers.
That being said you're still breaking the law so if you're not taking certain network precautions you should be aware your information is probably out there somewhere (evidence of your activity) but it would be unusual for anyone to ever come knocking for it.

Here's a couple of relevant examples from the last 12 months of what will get you prosecuted in the UK:
https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/featu ... tributors/
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/prem ... l-sentence

If you're a small fish (ad-driven revenue rather subscription based) you probably won't attract much attention either but don't use your phone call to ask me what happened if you end up in a cell.
shrishri

eightbo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 pm
Yeah I believe that's correct Kai.

Generally in the UK, you're largely ignored as a viewer and the majority of the risk lies with the providers.
That being said you're still breaking the law so if you're not taking certain network precautions you should be aware your information is probably out there somewhere (evidence of your activity) but it would be unusual for anyone to ever come knocking for it.

Here's a couple of relevant examples from the last 12 months of what will get you prosecuted in the UK:
https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/featu ... tributors/
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/prem ... e-illegal-stream-tv-piracy-jail-sentence

If you're a small fish (ad-driven revenue rather subscription based) you probably won't attract much attention either but don't use your phone call to ask me what happened if you end up in a cell.
I think I should ditch Kodi and look for other options.
eightbo

If you're experiencing any kind of reliability issues it's not worth the hassle imo

Return to “Technology”