New Microsoft Surface Laptop

Halliday

Has anyone looked at the new Windows Surface Laptop, starting pice is £979 !! With the below spec...

Intel Core i5
128GB SSD
4GB RAM
13.5 Screen

It runs Windows 10.5...One of the ideas behind Windows 10 S and its restriction to Windows Store apps is that those apps are less resource-hungry than traditional Windows applications, which means they'll run well on lower-power machines, and should drain the battery slower too.but you can apparently at the click of a button upgrade to Windows 10pro ( think upgrade is free if done within three month , then a charge )

Anyone tempted to get it to trade on the move? Or recommend a decent lightweight laptop to use ?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/1578 ... pro-review
Bluesky

I was chatting to our local plumber a while back who had recently bought one of these. He complained a bit about the cost, but was extremely pleased with it. He said he now did virtually all his admin work on site, he reckoned he had saved around 1.5 hours a night he no longer had to spend on his desk top sorting stuff out.
Halliday

Bluesky wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:26 pm
I was chatting to our local plumber a while back who had recently bought one of these. He complained a bit about the cost, but was extremely pleased with it. He said he now did virtually all his admin work on site, he reckoned he had saved around 1.5 hours a night he no longer had to spend on his desk top sorting stuff out.
It is rather pricey but a lot of reviews seem to rate above the MacBook, certainly very light and portable, and seems to have a decent battery life .. Anyone traded on one yet( or bought one !!) , Or any other laptop?
welshboy06

I use a lenovo yoga laptop. Has a bigger screen and similar spec. Doesn't have a detachable keyboard though.

There are various different specs ranging from 350-600ish. I use mine for trading in work without issue. The surface is a great bit of kit, but a bit pricey compared to similar products with similar spec
Halliday

New Microsoft Surface Go goes on sale in a few weeks ( Aug 23rd) lowest spec retails for £379, plus you’d pay around £100 for keyboard cover.would it be suitable for running Betangel if on my travels. I dint often trade when away, but usually take my ASUS laptop with is a tad bulky.

Spec below

MICROSOFT 10" Surface Go - 64 GB, Silver

OVERVIEW
Type Surface Go
Operating system Windows 10 S
PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Pentium® Gold 4415Y Processor
- Dual-core
- 1.6 GHz
- 2 MB cache
RAM 4 GB
Storage 64 GB eMMC
SCREEN
Touchscreen Yes
Screen size 10"
Screen type PixelSense Display
Resolution Full HD 1800 x 1200p
Screen features Corning Gorilla Glass 3
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - AC WiFi
- 1x1
Derek27

I've never understood what a lightweight laptop is. Older laptops may be chunky but they're hardly too heavy to carry. :)
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:30 pm
I've never understood what a lightweight laptop is. Older laptops may be chunky but they're hardly too heavy to carry. :)
This was too heavy to carry back in its day, trust me, I had one. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

I never encountered a heavy laptop but I bought my first video recorder in 1983, weighted a ton and my arms were absolutely aching by the time I got it home. :lol:
Halliday

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:43 pm
I never encountered a heavy laptop but I bought my first video recorder in 1983, weighted a ton and my arms were absolutely aching by the time I got it home. :lol:
But would that Surface Go “ do the job” ?
Derek27

No idea, best thing to do is have a play around with one in PC World or whatever shop sells it. You might get a feel for it's speed if it has any apps installed that you're familiar with.
Dallas

Halliday wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:11 pm
New Microsoft Surface Go goes on sale in a few weeks ( Aug 23rd) lowest spec retails for £379, plus you’d pay around £100 for keyboard cover.would it be suitable for running Betangel if on my travels. I dint often trade when away, but usually take my ASUS laptop with is a tad bulky.

Spec below

OVERVIEW
Type Surface Go
PERFORMANCE
- Dual-core
- 1.6 GHz
- 2 MB cache
RAM 4 GB
Storage 64 GB eMMC
SCREEN
Touchscreen Yes
Screen size 10"
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - AC WiFi
- 1x1
Depends how you will be using it, if its just for ladder/one-click manual trading with a chart or two open yes its more than enough, I have an older and less powerful surface pro and it does the job perfectly when I'm on the move.

If your connecting excel spreadsheets or hooking up additional monitors or generally multi-tasking other stuff then it would likely begin to struggle
Halliday

Dallas wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:31 pm
Halliday wrote:

Spec below

OVERVIEW
Type Surface Go
PERFORMANCE
- Dual-core
- 1.6 GHz
- 2 MB cache
RAM 4 GB
Storage 64 GB eMMC
SCREEN
Touchscreen Yes
Screen size 10"
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - AC WiFi
- 1x1
Depends how you will be using it, if its just for ladder/one-click manual trading with a chart or two open yes its more than enough, I have an older and less powerful surface pro and it does the job perfectly when I'm on the move.

If your connecting excel spreadsheets or hooking up additional monitors or generally multi-tasking other stuff then it would likely begin to struggle

It would just be for trades on the ladder interface nothing else .. so you think it would be fine Dallas ?
Dallas

Halliday wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:41 pm
Dallas wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:31 pm
Halliday wrote:

Spec below

OVERVIEW
Type Surface Go
PERFORMANCE
- Dual-core
- 1.6 GHz
- 2 MB cache
RAM 4 GB
Storage 64 GB eMMC
SCREEN
Touchscreen Yes
Screen size 10"
CONNECTIVITY
WiFi - AC WiFi
- 1x1

It would just be for trades on the ladder interface nothing else .. so you think it would be fine Dallas ?
Yes, that would be fine
sionascaig

It's getting a poor review in the register.... In summary:

- low power glued in battery
- so will only last as long as the battery
- limited potential to upgrade going forward

Mind you I think the average lifetime of a laptop in my house is about 6 months....
JTEDL

I was looking at getting a Surface couple of years ago, I do like them but a lot of money compared with a laptop with similar specs. There's plenty of decent 2 in 1 touch screen laptops about now, with sturdier keyboard which fold all way back round.

Return to “Technology”