Old Laptop

Dean204

I have an old laptop running on Windows Vista, will BetAngel work on this OS.

Dean
Dallas

Derek27

Dean204 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Dean
Hi Dean, welcome to the forum. :)

I have an old laptop running Windows Vista which is fine for connecting to the internet, watching live video, etc. But I'd be wiery of keeping sensitive information and documents on it. Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft so there may be many known security vulnerabilities by now that haven't been fixed.

If it's your main computer upgrading to Windows 7 might be a good idea.
BetScalper

You will have the same problem in 2020 as Microsoft will be dropping all support for Windows 7 too.
Derek27

That still gives over a year and may not cost anything/much if you can get a licence for Windows 7. Upgrading Windows Vista to Windows 10 is often beyond the specification of older computers.
BetScalper

You can get a Windows 7 Professional license + download link + key for GBP 9.95
Dean204

Thanks for all of the above information, especially the security post. Does having security software installed like McAfee help?

Cheers,

Dean
Dean204

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 pm
Dean204 wrote:

Dean

I have an old laptop running Windows Vista which is fine for connecting to the internet, watching live video, etc. But I'd be wiery of keeping sensitive information and documents on it. Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft so there may be many known security vulnerabilities by now that haven't been fixed.

Does having software security like McAfee help, it isn't my main computer l was just thinking about using it to display BA charts while l use my new laptop to trade on the ladder.
Jukebox

If the purpose is just to have more monitor space a freestanding second monitor and a cable can be very inexpensive and would be much more convenient for you. You might even find you have an old tv kicking about that you could press into service for now.
Derek27

Dean204 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:30 am
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 pm
Dean204 wrote:

Dean

Does having software security like McAfee help, it isn't my main computer l was just thinking about using it to display BA charts while l use my new laptop to trade on the ladder.
I'm far from being an expert in computer security but I believe when Microsoft stops supporting an OS, most software vendors follow suit. If the underlying operating system is unsafe, software running on it will be unsafe.

Having said that, I don't believe Windows Vista is completely riddled with vulnerabilities as software publishers would like you to believe. When Microsoft patch a vulnerability, that vulnerability didn't magically appear last week - it was always there and our computers were always vulnerable to it, it's just that it's only been discovered. So we're all vulnerable to next month's fixes. :lol: My guess is that Microsoft will often fix problems after it's been discovered and exploited.

But if you want to be as safe as possible it's not a good idea to be bashing out passwords frequently on an outdated OS.
Rick_Davies

Hello @Dean204 buddy its better you change your Vista OS to Windows 7 and also it depends on your configuration.
Before I also use Mcafee than I switch into Windows Defender (Microsoft Antivirus Software) still I'm using it never got any issue.
Derek27

I've disabled Windows Defender because it keeps flagging my own programs and programs I know are safe, as viruses. Doesn't even ask sometimes if you want it removed. :evil:

Anti-virus software is useful for less savvy computer users who don't write code, the problem is that most of the time when Microsoft think they found a virus they're really just guessing or assuming it wasn't written by the computer user.

Return to “Technology”