Windows Pictures Help

Derek27

JasBarrow wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:23 pm
Even with the box checked I have to repeat these steps each time I want to open a file.

Its not a big issue, I can just change the file name its just a mild annoyance.
In the "How do you want to open this file?" menu, have you tried clicking on "More apps", scrolling down to the bottom of the list of apps and clicking on "Look for another app on this PC"?

It should allow you to browse your file system and find the program you want to use as a default?
JasBarrow

Update on this I've switched from Chrome to Firefox, no issues now everything working as it should.

Thanks all for your help
LeTiss

JasBarrow wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm
Update on this I've switched from Chrome to Firefox, no issues now everything working as it should.

Thanks all for your help
I'd happily switch from Chrome, it's absolutely shit

I constantly keep getting message
"Checking the proxy and firewall"
Derek27

Firefox is generally good, but it has a 'Deceptive Content and Dangerous Software Protection' setting that's on by default.

I downloaded a program that I know is perfectly safe 6 times before I realised Firefox automatically deletes files it thinks is dangerous without even alerting the user!!

It also gave me a warning when I downloaded one of my own programs for my own personal use, "not many people have downloaded this program - are you sure?"!!!
ShaunWhite

If you use a decent virus and incursion protector like AVG Free then you can switch of your browsers security. It's always slow, inefficient and clunky anyway compared to a dedicated product.

I was looking at anti-virus stuff last night actually, thinking about an upgrade but tbh AVG Free is still really hard to beat and the paid version or other paid products don't really have anything very useful extra.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 pm
If you use a decent virus and incursion protector like AVG Free then you can switch of your browsers security. It's always slow, inefficient and clunky anyway compared to a dedicated product.

I was looking at anti-virus stuff last night actually, thinking about an upgrade but tbh AVG Free is still really hard to beat and the paid version or other paid products don't really have anything very useful extra.
I've just got Microsoft Windows Defender and I've disabled it permanently because it's a pain in the arse!

It removed a file without asking me and just told me that the file contains 'potentially unwanted software' that will allow the attacker to gain control of my computer. I didn't like being called an attacker - even attackers should have control of their own computer, and it should be for me to decide if I want files that I've spent hours working on!!

Does AVG allow the user more control?
ShaunWhite

Well I like it because it hardly ever lets me know it's there, no stupid warnings or nagging to upgrade. It's ad free too and uninstalls cleanly if you don't want it anymore. It's all personal choice but it works for me.
Derek27

I've just downloaded some music and the album art files all end in _small.jpg or _large.jpg.

I suspect the OP's issue was the period being replaced with an underscore, thereby changing the filetype to an unrecognised filetype.

Return to “Technology”