Horse Racing - Data capturing - Dealing with Non Runners / Withdrawals

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
jonedelman

Hi all

I hvae been trying to record some data on horse racing recently (mostly using Nigel's excellent IXL sheet).

I haven't gone through the sheet in detail yet to analyse but i have just thought about (as it happened to me manually) ..... how does one account for a withdrawal and therefore the subsequent changing of odds - ie when Betfair apply the reduction factor

As I say I havent gone back through my data to analyse the effect - but presumably there will be one. Because I'm recording the data "live", then tick by tick / line by line into a spreadsheet - but these odds might "change" when actually all thats happened is betfair applying reduction factor.

(1) Is there any way to see the "original odds"?

(2) Has anyone else come across this problem when collecting data / and then later using it for analysis etc?

I'd be grateful to hear any thoughts!!

Thanks
Jonny
ShaunWhite

If you capture market status alongside the price history you could look for lines where it's 'suspended' and the countdown is still before the start time?

Not foolproof but it makes 'funnies' easier to spot.
sa7med

for analysis purposes i simply ignore any markets with nonrunners (although this is definitely not best practice though its definitely easy)

otherwise you could code something to go back and "fix" your data, ie adjust previous odds by the reduction factor (Shaun's suggestion is a good way to identify when a runner has been withdrawn)
jonedelman

Yup - thanks guys - its a bit of tricky one . Neither solution ideal really - very difficult (and time consuming!) to work back the reduction factors.

Hmm will have to keep thinking ...
weemac

I used to do it manually the morning after racing by comparing my records with betfair's records, and adjusting odds, field sizes etc. using Excel, but it was such a pain in the neck I gave up after a while.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”