Trading is about to Change

A place to discuss anything.
Kafkaesque

In that cast, how is that "hovering up a lot value"? My understanding is that, what it does is, that if I put in an offer trying to lay at 2.00 on selection 1 in a market of two selections, it'll place it as both an offer to back at 2.00 on selection 1 and to lay at 2.00 on selection. And then obviously in more complicated ways with more selections and when it works across markets. But I fail to see when and how it hovers value. What am I missing here?
gutuami

these are the corresponding xmatching figures on a 2runners market: 1.71=2.41,1.72=2.39,1.73=2.37. Do you think bf will round up the odds in your favor? If you place a big bet your average odds would be less than normal. Now about hovering. When a big bet enter the market it creates a over broke book or so to say a free money situation. Who is gonna fill their boots first?. Most of the time you wouldn't even notice it. with xmatching book is always 'perfect'. bf is taking care of that.
spreadbetting

Has a release date even been set for this 'big change' yet? Or are the developers waiting for someone to suggest a decent idea for them to code in :)
Korattt

spreadbetting wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm
Has a release date even been set for this 'big change' yet? Or are the developers waiting for someone to suggest a decent idea for them to code in :)
would imagine it'll be released before the Matchbook Traders Conference this week, if not it would be a missed opportunity I would've thought
Kafkaesque

gutuami wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:12 pm
these are the corresponding xmatching figures on a 2runners market: 1.71=2.41,1.72=2.39,1.73=2.37. Do you think bf will round up the odds in your favor? If you place a big bet your average odds would be less than normal. Now about hovering. When a big bet enter the market it creates a over broke book or so to say a free money situation. Who is gonna fill their boots first?. Most of the time you wouldn't even notice it. with xmatching book is always 'perfect'. bf is taking care of that.
Okay, cheers for that. About what I expected.

On the first part, what you're saying is, what I'm suspecting in the following topic is correct. Yes?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15097

On the second, I get what you're saying, and I'll agree that it's skeechy morally - at best - if it's Betfair cleaning up that value. Morals aside that value was never going to fall in the laps of any old trader, though imho. If Betfair isn't doing it, it would just be an arms race to see who has best/fastest bot and/or internet connection, measured in microseconds, to hover that free money as fast as possible, I would think.
spreadbetting

Kafkaesque wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:31 pm

On the second, I get what you're saying, and I'll agree that it's skeechy morally - at best - if it's Betfair cleaning up that value. Morals aside that value was never going to fall in the laps of any old trader, though imho. If Betfair isn't doing it, it would just be an arms race to see who has best/fastest bot and/or internet connection, measured in microseconds, to hover that free money as fast as possible, I would think.
The simple fact was not everyone could get a slice of that pie and would therefore leave bets up or adjust them to balance any unmatched portions of their books. They actually put liquidity into the market, Betfair's version never adds liquidity it just takes from existing bets and also does it at source once bets enter their servers, taking (non runners aside) a guarenteed profit.

Markets will always find their own equilibrium as people step in to fill in the gaps making things more efficient. Prior to x-matching things were working fine and there were plenty of market makers adding prices and liquidity to the market. Betfair took away the need for the majority of them with x-matching and the liquidity has suffered ever since. What's the point of trying to make a book if Betfair are going to swoop and take any small % as soon as it appears from you.
BlackHat Betting

Quite excited for this update :D We need all the help we can get :D
ricardodeano

If this new release isn't tied in with Halloween, has Peter dressed as a pumpkin, exclaiming "Trick or treat? Actually there's no trick, here's your treat...", then I am really going to be disappointed.
Euler

Probably worth moving the XM discussion to the XM thread as it's a really interesting topic.

With regard to the new release, there was another clue in this weekends video. See if you can pull it all together before we release.
megarain

Which Halloween ?
Korattt

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:10 am
Probably worth moving the XM discussion to the XM thread as it's a really interesting topic.

With regard to the new release, there was another clue in this weekends video. See if you can pull it all together before we release.
dual trades?
xitian

My guess is a feature to assist with trading multiple runners!
Yantraman

xitian wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 pm
My guess is a feature to assist with trading multiple runners!
... or multiple markets (from the same screen) :)

this would help trading football and racing on a Sat - :)
Last edited by Yantraman on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

You can do that already
ShaunWhite

Perhaps you should change your name to Pavlov because you've certainly got some of these people salivating when you ding that bell.

I've got a feeling the big reveal will have more than a touch of 3-2-1 about it.

Return to “General discussion”