Betangel Practice mode

A place to discuss anything.
superkp

Hi I'm new to the forum and I have downloaded a trial of bet angel
Bet angel Practice mode is really cool but how different is it compared to in live mode?
I am doing really well in practice mode and won a small amount on sunday when I tried live mode
ShaunWhite

The only difference is that BA has to simulate your fills in practice mode. It might or might not make a difference depending on what you're doing; ie taking or making offers, high speed automation etc.

If you try live, just use very small stakes £2? and it shouldn't cost you much to find out.
superkp

good advice thanks.
I have practiced trading and find it less risky to back first then lay.
I have used the betfair site for years but I recently downloaded bet angel .
I'm very impressed by the ladder column where you can quickly green out or take a small loss.
It takes the thinking out of trading and I have a feeling this may be something I can profit from.
iambic_pentameter

To echo what Shaun said, do try and use real money as soon as you feel confident enough.

As you move forward on your journey, you'll soon realise that discipline, money/risk management are the most important aspects and the best way to learn those skills, is to use real money.

You will lose money to start with but if it's only £2 stakes, it won't be too painful.

Best of luck with it.

Iambic
superkp

I downloaded bet angel on Friday then used practice mode on Friday and Saturday. I got every race in profit.
on Sunday I used live mode and I earned £15 with small stakes.
on the evening I lost my profit on Spanish football.
back in practice mode today and got a good green up in most races.
I find it hard to trade before the off but seem to do ok in play.my rule in play is back first then lay looking for a small profit.
I have always thought if you can earn £1 a day you can earn £10 per day
iambic_pentameter

superkp wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 pm
I downloaded bet angel on Friday then used practice mode on Friday and Saturday. I got every race in profit.
on Sunday I used live mode and I earned £15 with small stakes.
on the evening I lost my profit on Spanish football.
back in practice mode today and got a good green up in most races.
I find it hard to trade before the off but seem to do ok in play.my rule in play is back first then lay looking for a small profit.
I have always thought if you can earn £1 a day you can earn £10 per day
Slightly tongue-in-cheek but I would also suggest that:

"If you can lose £1 a day, you can lose £10 per day as well"

If you are going to trade in play (and I assume you are referring to horses here) then it's prudent to have some understanding of the form book and, more critically, not to stake too much. Here's why:

A few weeks ago, I had a trade on a horse at Kempton - it was a flat race and the race was started from the stalls.

I'd studied the form book and identified said horse as a good back to lay opportunity. I opened the position a few seconds before the off and the race went in play.

Immediately, the price shot out to 1000 on my selection - literally within seconds - the horse didn't get out of the stalls and whilst not the ideal outcome, no real damage done as I'd staked correctly.

When trading in play, you need to be aware that there will be traders at the track with a 2 second advantage over you - add to that the fact that the Betfair Live video can be delayed as well. And as my example showed, when trading in play, things can change very quickly.

As I said in my first reply, you will experience losses - the important part, is how you deal with those losses.

Take some time to watch as many videos on the Bet Angel YouTube channel - there is a wealth of information on there.

There is also some brilliant information in the forums themselves.

Iambic
superkp

yes good point
I chose longer races as it gives a bit of thinking time.
i back one of front runners then choose the green out with a small profit option on the left.
iambic_pentameter

Glad to hear you know what a front runner is, as when I started, I certainly didn't! :mrgreen:

Obviously you need to assess it on a race by race basis - i.e. if you have multiple front runners in a race then that changes things somewhat.

You'll find the forums a great place for picking up information and advice though.
superkp

I'm concentrating on getting used to the bet angel interface first
once I know where all the buttons are it gets easier. I just found how to place bets without the pop up it saves valuable time .

Return to “General discussion”