New software versions suitable for betfair security update

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
ShaunWhite

Have you changed the version of .NET it's uses?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 pm
Yes, and suitable settings to enforce TLS 1.2. It'll self install .NET 4.5 if it isn't found on the target PC. This drops support for XP and Windows Server 2003, but we haven't offically supported those for a while anyway.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 pm
Shaun -here's what i had to add to my code:

Code: Select all

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12 | SecurityProtocolType.Tls11 | SecurityProtocolType.Tls;
this defaults to tls 1.2, then degrades down the chain if unable to invoke..
ShaunWhite

BetAngel: Can you just clarify that you'll only upgrade to 4.5, and not just install 4.5 if it's not found. I'd assume so but just assuming isn't ideal and your reply was slightly vague.

Jimi: Cheers for that but I got patched and tested last week thanks to some advice from elsewhere. I bit the bullet and went .NET 4.7.1 anyway which raised issues going beyond v4.5 with Betfair.ESASwagger, but all sorted.

The lack of clarity about the upgrade risked BA 'doing a Microsoft' and making undocumented system changes. Whatever, it's not my beef anyway cos I know what I'm doing, but far reaching changes like that really should be in marching ants on the release notes on 'Pro' software.

I wonder how people have got on who've had bespoke stuff written in India? Good luck tracking down your developer to make the necessary mods. It's just another hidden cost with cheap outsourcing and why people should hire local coders on proper wages (queue the National Anthem and flag waving).
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:00 pm
BetAngel: Can you just clarify that you'll only upgrade to 4.5, and not just install 4.5 if it's not found. I'd assume so but just assuming isn't ideal and your reply was slightly vague.

Jimi: Cheers for that but I got patched and tested last week thanks to some advice from elsewhere. I bit the bullet and went .NET 4.7.1 anyway which raised issues going beyond v4.5 with Betfair.ESASwagger, but all sorted.

The lack of clarity about the upgrade risked BA 'doing a Microsoft' and making undocumented system changes. Whatever, it's not my beef anyway cos I know what I'm doing, but far reaching changes like that really should be in marching ants on the release notes on 'Pro' software.

I wonder how people have got on who've had bespoke stuff written in India? Good luck tracking down your developer to make the necessary mods. It's just another hidden cost with cheap outsourcing and why people should hire local coders on proper wages (queue the National Anthem and flag waving).
Shaun -afaik, the minor versions are only used if referenced. in a word, you can still have .net v4.5 installed on your machine as well as v4.7.1. Your code will directly reference a specific version of the runtime. i have a number of apps that i maintain that use everything from v3.5, 4.5, 4.6.1 etc and none conflict with the other. however, issues can occur with references to 3rd party dlls that were compiled with lower versions if those versions are no longer present.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Don't worry, the installer won't break anything. The .NET 4.5 installation is only there for use if required; If you've got a higher version of .NET, then it won't be needed.
ShaunWhite

Bet Angel wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:17 pm
Don't worry, the installer won't break anything. The .NET 4.5 installation is only there for use if required; If you've got a higher version of .NET, then it won't be needed.
thx for the clarification. I wasn't worried.
It's a brave release manager who says a .NET upgrade "won't break anything" :)
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm
however, issues can occur with references to 3rd party dlls that were compiled with lower versions if those versions are no longer present.
Yeah that's my understanding too. Everything's cushty until you bump into an old unloved dll tucked away somewhere. :)

I guess this thread will go down as yet another 'Project fear' :lol:
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:26 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm
however, issues can occur with references to 3rd party dlls that were compiled with lower versions if those versions are no longer present.
Yeah that's my understanding too. Everything's cushty until you bump into an old unloved dll tucked away somewhere. :)

I guess this thread will go down as yet another 'Project fear' :lol:
Windows 98 was the original DLL Hell, where the system had to be designed to automatically restore DLLs that had been downgraded with Win 3.1 DLLs, from the Sysbckup directory.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:52 pm
Windows 98 was the original DLL Hell, where the system had to be designed to automatically restore DLLs that had been downgraded with Win 3.1 DLLs, from the Sysbckup directory.
Tech as diverged. One one end it's all closed systems and you have shout your problem at an 'assistant' to fix it. On the other end it's got devilishly complicated.

Return to “Support”