Scottish Independence Vote

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Euler

Alex Salmond has resigned.
Euler

Iron

Wouldn't it be ironic if, after having spent his adult life campaigning against Scotland being ruled by a foreign power, he ended up working for the EU?

Jeff
Euler wrote:Alex Salmond has resigned.
Euler

More worried about Sturgeon replacing Salmond. Something fishy going on there?
marko236

Ferru123 wrote:Wouldn't it be ironic if, after having spent his adult life campaigning against Scotland being ruled by a foreign power, he ended up working for the EU?

Jeff
Euler wrote:Alex Salmond has resigned.
I feel sorry for the guy, it's like a football team spending many years to get to a world cup final and then missing the penalty kick to win it.
Iron

Interesting article by Nate Silver: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/scot ... polls-bad/
Iron

'Why I bet £900k on the Scottish referendum' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29314400

'The first time I walked in to the William Hill I tried to place a bet of £400,000. The bookies weren't set up to take it. They could only process £9,000 deposits at a time so it would have taken almost a whole day of separate transactions. By the time we organised a better solution the next day, the odds had worsened.'

I'm surprised that Hills were willing to accept even a £9,000 bet - they have declined £20 bets I've tried to place - and that the guy didn't simply bet with Betfair.

Jeff
steven1976

If he did place this on bf, what would he be expected to pay in terms of taxes on the winnings? I presume he would have had to drip it into the exchange and therefore it wouldn't be seen as a one off big punt which I think bf allow without charging PC?
LinusP

He was on radio 2 yesterday morning and talked a lot about how he he knew the yes vote would probably overtake no in the poles leading up to the event. If this is true and he comes from a banking background why did he not trade the event instead of gambling like a mug months before???
giulio2010

Does anyone suspect that the vote may be rigged?
After the European election in Italy, one italian political party have shown strong prove of a rigged election, in fact the centre left achieved an outstanding result which no1 predicted and was backed by the eurosupporters.
Today I came across some debatable prove of something similar happened to the scottish referendum.
Here the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbJif7vISQg
Iron

giulio2010 wrote:Does anyone suspect that the vote may be rigged?
No.

Corrupt elections are extremely rare in the UK, and the idea that a fix could have taken place that resulted in such a big victory in a national election just isn't credible in my opinion.

Jeff
Zenyatta

Ferru123 wrote:'Why I bet £900k on the Scottish referendum' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29314400

Jeff

ha, see the advantage of pro punting over pro trading? This pro gambler made a few bets over a few hours, then sat back laughing all the way to the bank. Compare to a top trader sitting and sweating and stressing all day for a year to make the same amount....

Peter's motto may be 'little and often', but mine is 'go in huge rarely'. The pro gambler waits for the opportunity then moves in huge... piling it on without hesitation...killer instinct takes the pot :D
giulio2010

Ferru123 wrote:
giulio2010 wrote:Does anyone suspect that the vote may be rigged?
No.

Corrupt elections are extremely rare in the UK, and the idea that a fix could have taken place that resulted in such a big victory in a national election just isn't credible in my opinion.

Jeff
I'm not saying it happened, I don't have the truth in my hand, ( just some doubts about e few videos and news I watched), but underestimating the possibility of rigged referemdum it seems a bit too partisan.
In Uk they still believe that Suddam Hussein had alien weapons from another galaxy so why I expect a slightly doubt about the integrity of the vote.
Iron

...or not, as the case me be! ;)
Ashley.png
Jeff
Zenyatta wrote: Peter's motto may be 'little and often', but mine is 'go in huge rarely'. The pro gambler waits for the opportunity then moves in huge... piling it on without hesitation...killer instinct takes the pot :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

£900k was a serious punt, especially on something which ended up 55-45

He's got to be lying if he wasn't starting to get a little nervous at one point

Return to “Political betting & arguing”