BSP Rank relative Price Rank

The sport of kings.
Orixian

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm tot me wether the BSP rank of all the runners in a race varies much from the actual price rank just beofre a race comences. I don't mean the prices them selves but I mean the rank of the horses if ranked by BSP. For example if Horse A is price rank 1 B is price rank 2 and C is price rank 3 a few seconds before the off are there many times where the BSP rank of the same three horses would be different e.g. B1 A2 C3.

I am running scenarios using historical data and want to see if the the BSP rank is broadly the same as the price rank because data on the BSP is easily obtainable but actual prices just before a races goes live aren't available any where and I haven't been recording the data long enough to back test the systems.

Cheers
Euler

The Betfair order is generally the market at open and moves from there don't influence the rank at the off. If you get a giant steamer it could be favourite but 8 down the field .
Orixian

Thanks for that Peter that makes my life easier. I should have said by BSP I meant the SP that betfair places your bet if you click take SP. I was concerned that the BSP rank might vary to rank just before the off because I wasnt certain how the BSP is actually calculated but have since found this https://promo.betfair.com/betfairsp/FAQ ... kings.html seems to indicate its based on the money unmatched just before the off so it shouldn't move much.
Euler

The SP varies little from the last traded price just before the off, but people often lay heavily if the horse gets a bad start so that can distort things.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”