Can a logical approach be applied to an illogical market?

The sport of kings.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:34 pm
I think your problem Mark, is the way you relate the two. When I started programming in IBM COBOL (for financial and insurance firms) I didn't try to apply my experience in horse racing to the financial programs I was writing because it was irrelevant.
Derek27, the references to how long some have been coding and your quote reminds me of a quote I picked up from my boss at the time. I was interviewing someone for a job who had 20 eaperience in the field but I felt something wasn't right but couldn't pin it down (gut feel as they say) so I asked him to attend. He asked just one question ... "tell me, do you have 20 years experience or 1 year's experience 20 times?" and that was it ... the guy had only done one aspect of the industry for 20 years!
Derek27

Going off subject here, but top of the list in a US survey of the worst questions ever asked at an interview, I think either by interviewer or interviewee, was, "how many young women work here?". :lol:
slipperytoad

PDP 11/45, Perkin Elemer, 6800/8080 microprocessors, software engineer for AT&T and HP etc, etc for 30+ years, I could go on about my career in computing but like yourself, I tried the logical approch to match my logical brain when I first started trading and fell flat on my face.

It didn't make sense, the market didn't do what I thought it should do.. I soon recognised after a while of bashing my head against a brick wall that I was the problem, not the market :shock:

Then things started improving when I changed my perception of trading based on the following guidelines I read a while ago

1. The first part of learning to trade is identifying your edge and working out your numbers and figuring out what the odds are. What the probabilities are. There is only one source of making money in markets, and that is identifying recurring patterns in market behavior and exploiting those in a manner that provides solid reward relative to risk. You marshal and attenuate various personality traits to identify and exploit those patterns. Success comes, not from indulging your personality, but from knowing which traits to draw upon and which to work around. That is called wisdom.

2. The second part of leaning to trade is teaching yourself and learning how to manage yourself so that you execute your trading system.

That’s really trading. That’s really what it’s all about. Finding an edge, defining the edge and then executing it and working on yourself so that you can continue to execute it.
Derek27

slipperytoad wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:56 am
The first part of learning to trade is identifying your edge and working out your numbers and figuring out what the odds are. What the probabilities are. There is only one source of making money in markets, and that is identifying recurring patterns in market behavior and exploiting those in a manner that provides solid reward relative to risk.
Hi slipperytoad, welcome to the forum.

I have to disagree with the above quote that you read. It may be possible to make money by identifying recurring patterns in market behaviour but I can assure you that that would be one of a million ways to make money out of markets. There are probably as many different ways as there are successful traders. :)
wearthefoxhat

@OP

I don't seem to find horse racing illogical, not because I've found a holy grail that makes logic of everything that can happen before and during a race. If you take illogical as: lacking sense or clear, sound reasoning, I would say horse racing trading is the opposite of that. In many cases, the best fit is learning from something that's just happened and why, so it can be utilised for next time. (sounds a bit like AI learning from AI).

I have no computer science background, however my youngest son is planning university in September and he'll be taking a degree in CSc with a year's paid work in the 4th year. I'll try and steer him in the trading direction, who knows where it may lead.... 8-)
Derek27

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 am
...my youngest son is planning university in September and he'll be taking a degree in CSc with a year's paid work in the 4th year. I'll try and steer him in the trading direction, who knows where it may lead.... 8-)
Gambling addition and destitution?

If he has any sense he'll do what appeals and is best suited to him.
Wolf1877

25 years IBM mainframe analyst/programmer from age 18
8 years linux/apache/mysql/php
3 years MS SQL Server/Visual Studio/Integration Services with a little bit of C#

7 months into trading mainly spent building lots of data extraction/collation tools alongside manual trading.
I now have tons of data but I have definitely suffered from too much from paralysis by over analysis.
After all that number crunching I do at least now have a very clear idea of where I can build a profitable automation strategy.
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:12 am
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 am
...my youngest son is planning university in September and he'll be taking a degree in CSc with a year's paid work in the 4th year. I'll try and steer him in the trading direction, who knows where it may lead.... 8-)
Gambling addition and destitution?

If he has any sense he'll do what appeals and is best suited to him.
Quite right.

He's more interested in gaming development, coding...etc. (although he knock a spready together for me to help with the automation side of things) :)
Euler

This is actually an interesting thread and a sort of coders anonymous.

I see that you can model an activity then profit from it by: -

Finding errors in the model versus the market.
Anticipating something that is going to happen.
Benefiting from the underlying market activity.
Exploiting a technical or information advantage.

I may think of others, but that's what popped into my head. I've often found the market to be completely illogical As Buffett said but is misquoted here, short term the market is a voting machine, long-term a weighing machine. I think that applies in sports also.
mhorro

Thanks for all the comments it is much appreciated.

I think Bet Angel is a great product and I have been using it since 2007 and it has certainly evolved in the right direction.

What would be great is some sort of API's that allow for further extraction of data from the markets in standard format to be used for easy load into a database for modelling ( not excel ). I feel that there is a layer missing here as signals are ok i.e. provide some direction but prices/time would be great. The data is not easily aggregated and modelled. Plus it would be great to play back markets ( without video ) so you could replay and fast forward events historically using the Bet Angel product.

With respect to the computing industry in the UK I have steered my 2 children away from this. In the 1980's after graduating with a computer science degree my first job I earned £14K per year! Now Graduates are being paid £20K for the first job in the 2018!
So After 30+ years this cannot be right. I feel so sorry for graduates nowadays as I see the troubles my two children are having. Students loans etc.

I think this is happening in every industry, people working for less and more hours!

Thank god I retired at 50 years old.
LinusP

mhorro wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am
Thanks for all the comments it is much appreciated.

I think Bet Angel is a great product and I have been using it since 2007 and it has certainly evolved in the right direction.

What would be great is some sort of API's that allow for further extraction of data from the markets in standard format to be used for easy load into a database for modelling ( not excel ). I feel that there is a layer missing here as signals are ok i.e. provide some direction but prices/time would be great. The data is not easily aggregated and modelled. Plus it would be great to play back markets ( without video ) so you could replay and fast forward events historically using the Bet Angel product.

With respect to the computing industry in the UK I have steered my 2 children away from this. In the 1980's after graduating with a computer science degree my first job I earned £14K per year! Now Graduates are being paid £20K for the first job in the 2018!
So After 30+ years this cannot be right. I feel so sorry for graduates nowadays as I see the troubles my two children are having. Students loans etc.

I think this is happening in every industry, people working for less and more hours!

Thank god I retired at 50 years old.
https://developer.betfair.com/exchange-api/
mhorro

I posted this thread a while ago and have manged to perform further analysis of the UK horse racing markets capturing stored values like Volume traded, WOM etc and in my opinion the markets are totally random. You can have 300K traded on a favourite and it means nothing!

Checking prices on the top 3 favs in a horse race at various time intervals pre-off is not really beneficial as large order spikes distort the markets.

I am now 100% convinced the market is completely illogical.

Some good news I now know the beast I am dealing with and I am now happier as my strategy has changed!

Thanks,

Mark

Return to “Trading Horse racing”