Any advice for trading volatile jumpy markets like Chelmsford City?

The sport of kings.
EnzaDenino

I'm finding it difficult to read the trend in such volatile markets. At the moment I'm trying to get filled on small price spikes and taking a tick or two profit but the price often runs through me resulting in a big loss.

Any advice please?
Derek27

Hi Enza, welcome to the forum.

It's not a good idea to take one or two tick profits in a volatile market - it's like backing 5-1 on shots, a small profit when it goes right and a big loss when it goes wrong!

I reduce stakes and aim for bigger swings in very volatile markets. If your stake size is small and the market goes against you you can afford to be more patient and give the market more time to reverse.

Good luck.
spreadbetting

Remember you don't have to trade every race, if it doesn't suit your style of trading take a break and wait til another race comes along. If you still want to try spotting trends in those type of markets turn your refresh rate down as it'll lessen the effect of the 'noise' in the market.
Euler

I'd echo that a tick or two in volatile markets is unlikely to be worthwhile.

If you gain 2 but lose 15 if it goes wrong then your strike rate would have to be around 86% to stand a chance of a profit.
iambic_pentameter

Some very helpful advice in the previous posts, Enzo.

As Spredbetting said, you don't have to trade every race and if you are new to this, there is nothing wrong with just sitting there and watching the markets. If you can use a screen recorder to capture what you are watching, even better.

It does take time but once you've sat through a high volume of races, you will start to see patterns developing and can then trade based on what is happening.

Best of luck with it.

Iambic
EnzaDenino

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone

Return to “Trading Horse racing”