Scalping, Swinging or Both?

The sport of kings.
cookyweb

Hi All,

I just wondered what some of you guys prefer / see as more profitable (for you personally), Swing Trading or Scalping the Pre Race Horse Markets?

I've always focused much more on Swing Trading over Scalping, infact being honest I've not put any real effort into Scalping so far and feel like in reality that's where I should be applying more focus when leaning or starting out.

Any feedback as always is massively appreciated.

Cookyweb.
Euler

Do both, but the markets have got more swingy over the years for sure.
JTEDL

^^This
but can depend on how the market is acting to what action you take
firlandsfarm

what do you actually mean by Swing Trading on say a horse. I do financial trading (as well as sports trading) and understand scalping as being 'immediate trading' probably using 1 minute and 5 minute candlesticks whereas Swing Trading would look for a return over a longer timescale and use 1 hour, 4 hour and even 1 day candlesticks with various studies and technical indicators to assist in the decision making process. How would you define Swing Trading on a horse?
iambic_pentameter

A good post to read is the following, written by the forum legend that is Dallas:

viewtopic.php?t=13769
firlandsfarm

Thanks iambic … just popping over to read now :)
alexmr2

From my experience
Scalping: Small win, small win, small win, big loss
Swing trading: Big win, small loss, big win, small loss

I'm still relatively new to trading but I have found swings (looking for 3+ ticks movement) to be more profitable. Whenever I tried scalping it just didn't work because it only took 1 bad trade to go a few ticks away to wipe out all those 1 tick profits that I just made

Return to “Trading Horse racing”