Sky Q and in running trading

The sport of kings.
JimmyGG

I wish to add in running trading to my repertoire.
I have recently moved home and don’t currently have a sky subscription.
As a new subscriber sky will only install sky q (although if I can buy my own sky hd boxes they will allow me a card for those)
So my query is does sky q have a delay over sky hd? (I’m talking main box will be the one in my trading den and possibly another box in there)
I understand the mini boxes will have a delay due to the network transmission.
So what I’m asking is do I go new sky q install or buy old sky hd gear and get it installed myself?
I also understand sky sports racing has a delay over betfair video but racing tv does not.
The cost difference is negligible I just want the minimum delay.
Thanks in advance
superfrank

Why do you suspect the Q box has a bigger lag than the HD box? Mini boxes are no good, I get that, but I haven't heard anything to suggest the main box is slower and would be interested to hear what others think.

Ps. am still using an HD box.
wearthefoxhat

JimmyGG wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm
I wish to add in running trading to my repertoire.
I have recently moved home and don’t currently have a sky subscription.
As a new subscriber sky will only install sky q (although if I can buy my own sky hd boxes they will allow me a card for those)
So my query is does sky q have a delay over sky hd? (I’m talking main box will be the one in my trading den and possibly another box in there)
I understand the mini boxes will have a delay due to the network transmission.
So what I’m asking is do I go new sky q install or buy old sky hd gear and get it installed myself?
I also understand sky sports racing has a delay over betfair video but racing tv does not.
The cost difference is negligible I just want the minimum delay.
Thanks in advance

I've recently subscribed to SkyQ (TV Entertainment and Sky Fibre Max 63mb) Talk-Talk kept messing up the speed @38mb, so for an extra £4 a month, it was an easy decision. (Sky are doing a special deal at the moment)

I'm sitting here watching Fontwell on Skysportsracing and have found the IP delay minimal. I can't tell you about the sky hd box comparison as it's the first time I've used sky. Jump racing suits my IP style, so I look forward to the next few months.

If you get SkyQ, be careful with the remote cos u could inadvertantly press the live picture pause button and then you're behind for sure. ;)
wearthefoxhat

It might be coincidence, but these are todays results so far. Just a question when I scale up...

IPRes.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimmyGG

superfrank wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm
Why do you suspect the Q box has a bigger lag than the HD box? Mini boxes are no good, I get that, but I haven't heard anything to suggest the main box is slower and would be interested to hear what others think.

Ps. am still using an HD box.
Super frank it is something I have heard but I don’t believe it either, I don’t want to get into an 18 month subscription and find I was wrong though!
The suggestion was because of the transcoding for the differences in sky q it was delayed, I can see the possibility. Obviously because the mini box is basically iptv the delay can be serious.
Sky q would suit me as I have Ethernet ports everywhere so can have the mini boxes where the delay is less important (I don’t have seperate sat feeds to my downstairs TVs and I don’t want unsightly wires or to chase walls out in a new house)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”