Cheltenham Day One; strange on-course markets!

The sport of kings.
JollyGreen

Hi to all

I took my daughter to the festival yesterday; I was lucky enough to win two tickets which I gave to her. I was surprised when her mate bailed so I stepped in. To be honest I didn't have a successful time punting the first four races (a 3rd at 33/1), didn't back in the Champion Hurdle but did lay Apple's Jade as I suspected she would be in season again; the reason given for her flop this time last year!

One thing I noticed was the huge differential in prices with bookmakers, you normally see a few discrepancies but there were so many I was quite surprised. I reckon I could have had multiple bets across the differing boards and found a book below 100%! I was there to enjoy the day with my daughter so I abstained.

Then in the last race I really fancied A Plus Tard and told my daughter to grab the 13/2 on offer. She was delighted when it won. I was watching the race with my "in running" head on and was surprised to see 4.0 on offer when to my eyes, this horse was running all over them. I availed myself and continued to watch the race and could not believe my eyes when 3.50 - 3.80 was still on offer despite my belief it looked the likely winner. The masses caught up and the price plummeted in. The result was proof and it was one of the easiest winners of the day. I know I am seeing live action but I have done that many times before without being offered such generous odds.

How did you you guys and gals see the markets yesterday, especially if you're an in running player?

Cheers

JG

EDIT: I know it wasn't the last race on the card when A Plus Tard won but it was our last race as we left early to miss the traffic.
bennyboy351

JollyGreen wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am
Hi to all

I took my daughter to the festival yesterday; I was lucky enough to win two tickets which I gave to her. I was surprised when her mate bailed so I stepped in. To be honest I didn't have a successful time punting the first four races (a 3rd at 33/1), didn't back in the Champion Hurdle but did lay Apple's Jade as I suspected she would be in season again; the reason given for her flop this time last year!

Cheers

JG

EDIT: I know it wasn't the last race on the card when A Plus Tard won but it was our last race as we left early to miss the traffic.
Hi JG - Good to see you back! I hope all is well with you? :-)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”