Charting from Excel in BA

The sport of kings.
Atho55

Been gathering data for just under 7 weeks so showing what worked yesterday is no guarantee that it will work ever again BUT...

From a table that feeds 20 odd pivots each with fixed criteria, Cheltenham on a strategy that looks simply at Runners v Rank produced this. The criteria is in the Yellow Box above the title
Cheltenham.png
Unusually Southwell also did well on the same criteria
Southwell.png
The other 2 courses both lost...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atho55

This is an Excel spreadsheet set up to both chart the Back Odds for 7 runners and give a visualisation of matched money entering the market on the same 7 runners.

It connects to BA via the Excel tab on the main interface or via Guardian.

The output looks like this
Chelt Sample.png
Pressing the Stop button will stop the charting but the money continues to collect should you wish to have an overview.
Chelt Sample 1.png
Couple of dont`s to follow. Do not write in cell A:1, Do not delete cell B:37 and it does not like things over the top of it.
BetAngel Charting for Horses.zip
Any problems, ask away
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atho55

The 1st post in this thread was made in the Cheltenham thread and transferred to here by Dallas. It detailed from a series of pivot tables the one that performed the best on day 1. The other days for Cheltenham are below.
Chelts Day 2.png
Chelts Day 3.png
Chelts Day 4.png
2 winning days, 2 losing days.
Laugro1968

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the charting excel!
I don't understand the strategy examples though. Does it simply back 4, 5, 7 etc... runner at BSP ranked order?

Thanks,
Laurent
Atho55

You are looking for races that have 5, 6, 10, 11, 14 or 18 runners

The BSP is less than 100

You place a bet on Rank or Favourite at the off on 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 & 16

I picked up on it just after the quarantine break and backfitted it to the start of the data collection but kept it running to see if it had any future merit.

These are the results for February and March which are flattered by the 6 extraordinary days and some other decent wins. These are results from data collection and not actual bets placed in the market although I would think that a Back bet stake of £25 in the IP market would be possible.
Strat A Feb.png
Strat A Mar.png
Valda

Knocked up an automation to run this in practice mode for a while. Be interesting to see if a first fav < x condition ,x depending on no. of runners or race type or both, would help.
Valda

Good early start for any test rank 8 wins @ bsp 65.
Wonder how it will work out long term :o
Atho55

Yes that is a good start. I had a browse at the Ranking results this morning. Rank 11 & 16 bringing nothing to the party at the moment. Rank 11 is roughly -£2k so might be worth dropping those if they continue to underperform. Can post the results tomorrow for today if you want to do a x check.
ShaunWhite

Is this purely based on rank, or some other qualifications? I can't see how rank in itself has any underlying reason to perform long term.
And by looking at rank, aren't you indevertantly just looking at price?
Atho55

You have not read the thread then...

Runners in the race and BSP <100

I think it won the last race too..
Valda

Atho55 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:37 pm
Yes that is a good start. I had a browse at the Ranking results this morning. Rank 11 & 16 bringing nothing to the party at the moment. Rank 11 is roughly -£2k so might be worth dropping those if they continue to underperform. Can post the results tomorrow for today if you want to do a x check.
That would be interesting - good price rank 5 just won - today will be good.
I’m pretty sure races where 1st fav is < x will be ones to avoid and I reckon x will vary by runners and race type, but maybe not. Worth studying.
Valda

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:36 pm
Is this purely based on rank, or some other qualifications? I can't see how rank in itself has any underlying reason to perform long term.
It’s looking at historical occurances and seeking an edge from that. Odd approach yes but as valid as looking at 7 day runners or trainer stats - does the result repeat at a rate which would yield a +ev.
ShaunWhite

Valda wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:36 pm
It’s looking at historical occurances and seeking an edge from that. Odd approach yes but as valid as looking at 7 day runners or trainer stats - does the result repeat at a rate which would yield a +ev.
I'd never look at trainer stats etc, that's not my type of thing. I was just curious to understand how rank/price/number of runners had any logical basis.
Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt you're seeing something and I've no doubt you can find anomalies like that which appear to work across a whole year of data....but why would it also be there next year? I don't trust anything I've found profitable last month to work next month unless I've understood why it should still be there. It's like those fund manager performance tables, someone has to be top and most of the time that's the only time they are.
Atho55

There is no guarantee that it will work tomorrow, next week or ever again but what does happen is that horses fall (Sir Erec) outsiders come in and all the other unpredictable stuff that turns into unexpected results.

It`s as simple as that and it`s worked today (I believe), yesterday and the day before so why worry what might happen next year.
Laugro1968

It's a pretty amazing approach. Does it take race type into consideration (Flat or Jumps)? Does it perform on Hcaps and non-Hcaps alike?
I'll ad it my automated betting for small stakes. We'll see.

Best,
Laurent

Return to “Trading Horse racing”