Funny benefit of lack of inplay Betdaq

The sport of kings.
stueytrader

Just thought I'd post a recent slightly amusing experience I had with Betdaq.

When lack of inplay money can help you out!

I'd traded pre race quite heavy on a selection in a place market recently, laying the selection.

Made a right mess of it really, as despite drifting on Betfair, same selection was refusing to match me much on Betdaq at higher prices, and I accidentally ran inplay (of course).

Madly trying to back it for a loss of course then inplay, with a biggish liability left on it placing, I got about half my stake matched pretty quick, still big liability on it placing though. Tried to back in again at quite bit lower, looked up and horse was dropping out back of tele running poor (as I'd predicted). Thought, oh well a breakeven or so when could have been a win.

Race had finished, my stake still sitting there trying to back it to place around 4.6 on Betdaq, it was in the tail end of the field. So I pocketed a nice profit thanks to not one trader taking my bet on a tailed off horse....

Bonkers bad liquidity inplay on places there.
(Note, not recommending this as a strategy though) :D
Derek27

stueytrader wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 am
Just thought I'd post a recent slightly amusing experience I had with Betdaq.

When lack of inplay money can help you out!

I'd traded pre race quite heavy on a selection in a place market recently, laying the selection.

Made a right mess of it really, as despite drifting on Betfair, same selection was refusing to match me much on Betdaq at higher prices, and I accidentally ran inplay (of course).

Madly trying to back it for a loss of course then inplay, with a biggish liability left on it placing, I got about half my stake matched pretty quick, still big liability on it placing though. Tried to back in again at quite bit lower, looked up and horse was dropping out back of tele running poor (as I'd predicted). Thought, oh well a breakeven or so when could have been a win.

Race had finished, my stake still sitting there trying to back it to place around 4.6 on Betdaq, it was in the tail end of the field. So I pocketed a nice profit thanks to not one trader taking my bet on a tailed off horse....

Bonkers bad liquidity inplay on places there.
(Note, not recommending this as a strategy though) :D
Perhaps there is money to be made in-play trading on BetDaq if others leave green-ups in the IR market.
stueytrader

Yep, though not much I'd guess, not too many idiots trying to close trades inplay there! :roll:
stueytrader

It did remind me one lesson though - on BF I always use the 'take SP' for place lays, just incase of slipping inplay.

Betdaq only has a 'keep' option for place market, not quite the same when trading especially with that sort of action inplay!
ANGELS15

I've noticed the exact same thing. Yesterday when Betfair went down I tried to do a few manual back to lays on Betdaq. What was surprising is that even though a couple of the horses ran well no one would take my 50% lay odds. I noticed with one runner which was odds show 12/1 (18.0 on betdaq) so I backed for £12 and put in a lay offer £24 at 9.0. Once the race started I could see my 9.0 just sitting there for a minute or so (the horse was running well so 9.0 about a 12/1 chance should have looked like value. What seemed to and does happen with betdaq is that as soon as the race is off there is very little money in the in-running market and all you can see are your own and other people's 'dobs' just sitting there.

What seems to happen like it did with me yesterday was that people came along saw the £24 @ 9.0 waiting there and then started trading in front of it. The horse would literally have to win for that 9.0 to be taken.

I've noticed similar in the place markets on Betfair when I've tried to back to lay in those markets. The same is true on French, US and South African win markets. I related once when I dobbed a South African horse at Betfair odds of 30.0, It built up a huge lead of over 20 lengths my 15.0 lay was only taken in the final 2 furlongs when it still had a 10 length lead although it did get beat.

What is also interesting about Betdaq is that you don't see the beaten horses odds rapidly lengthening out to 1000 as you do on Betfair as the winner draws well clear.
Derek27

I'll have to take a look at Betdaq this week. Any free money is worth taking. :)
jimibt

ANGELS15 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm
What is also interesting about Betdaq is that you don't see the beaten horses odds rapidly lengthening out to 1000 as you do on Betfair as the winner draws well clear.
conversely, do you see the top 3 (on betdaq) reflecting the true positions at the end of the race?? i'd imagine one of the reasons for the erratic nature of BF odds at the end (apart from erratic IP market) is the fact that so many positions, setup in PRE race are being closed on those runners.

makes me think that a dual view on the odds across BQ and BF could yield some interesting anomalies when looking at lays in the final moments ;)
stueytrader

If we all start looking for value over there, maybe there will actually be some inplay action on Betdaq for once, sadly we'll mostly be offering poor value usually! :lol:

Just amazing the difference between pre (half decent) and inplay (rank terrible) liquidity on the Purple site.
stueytrader

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 pm
I'll have to take a look at Betdaq this week. Any free money is worth taking. :)
Sadly that dumb trader has now learned his lesson and won't be backing tailed off horses at 4.6 to place! ;) :oops:
ANGELS15

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 am
If we all start looking for value over there, maybe there will actually be some inplay action on Betdaq for once, sadly we'll mostly be offering poor value usually! :lol:

Just amazing the difference between pre (half decent) and inplay (rank terrible) liquidity on the Purple site.
Can't understand how in this day and age the liquidity for in-running markets is still so poor.
Euler

It's simple, Betfair have set the inplay delay on sports at a level where if you try and beat it you can make money but you need to provide liquidity to do that. Other exchanges find it hard to take liquidity away because if they seed the market, they get picked off. It's a clever strategy.
stueytrader

Euler wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:29 am
It's simple, Betfair have set the inplay delay on sports at a level where if you try and beat it you can make money but you need to provide liquidity to do that. Other exchanges find it hard to take liquidity away because if they seed the market, they get picked off. It's a clever strategy.
Yes, can see this logic. Just to note Betdaq is not even the worst exchange for inplay, that would be Smarkets as there's very little at all there.
rik

just leave the bet man, obsession with trading out just lose a lot of value
rik

Euler wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:29 am
dont get it when you say you "need to provide liquidity" to beat the in-play delay, arent people with faster information trying to take the prices that other people are seeding? does that count as liquidity?
stueytrader

rik wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 am
just leave the bet man, obsession with trading out just lose a lot of value
I do actually quite often leave lays/backs in a race - but only when I've deliberately planned that. I will always try to trade out inplay if it wasn't planned. Of course, if you feel theres fundamental value in just the lay itself, then it's worth leaving.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”