Inrunning - Mac v PC

The sport of kings.
Bonnie

Does anyone know which is the fastest way to place a bet inrunning? Would a high spec PC with Bet Angel be faster than an Apple Mac + VPS +Bet Angel - assuming both are using the same internet connection?
Derek27

I would have thought it makes no difference because the delay is set by Betfair. Even for a slow PC, the process of submitting a bet is probably measured in microseconds.
ShaunWhite

The fastest way to do it would be to automate it from the location with the fastest ping to the BF servers.

If you're watching delayed video and acting manually then the difference between your two suggestions isn't going to make any meaningful difference. Other than that, how much time are you hoping to save?
Bonnie

I should've have said that I'm in the process of replacing my PC and was wondering if a Mac + VPS would be as fast or faster than a PC when placing bets Inrunning.
johnsheppard

Bonnie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:46 pm
I should've have said that I'm in the process of replacing my PC and was wondering if a Mac + VPS would be as fast or faster than a PC when placing bets Inrunning.
Is the PC connecting to the VPS as well?

VPS = Virtual Private Server ... which means its another computer somewhere running a virtual machine. Some people seem to mix that up with VPN? Not sure if that's what you are doing..
Or do you mean a mac running parrallels or some other kind of virtual machine with windows on it?

The bottom line is that if you are manually triggering the bets, its the process of manually triggering that is the slowest point...
The next most important thing is the ping between your network/computer and betfairs servers...
The difference between a mac and a windows machine in terms of processing the trigger and sending it off through the network would be pretty negligable and probably a non consideration.
Bonnie

Thanks John, the PC wouldn't be connected to the VPS, just the Mac. The bets would be mainly manual bets. Both the Mac and PC would be using the same internet connection.
ShaunWhite

Bonnie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 am
Thanks John, the PC wouldn't be connected to the VPS, just the Mac. The bets would be mainly manual bets. Both the Mac and PC would be using the same internet connection.
You say it's using the same internet connection but when using a vps the only information flowing to your local machine is the display and mouse/kbd data. The betfair data gets no further than the vps, so its the internet connection from the vps to BF which becomes more significant. Depending on your choice of vps, that should (but not always) be faster than a connection from BF to wherever you live.

However if you're triggering bets manually then the difference between the two setups won't make a material difference.
johnsheppard

Further to what Shuan said, I think you can treat the speed difference in mac vs pc to be essentially the same...no difference...

The applicable differences would be in connecting to a VPS vs connecting directly to betfair from your home connection....

That is
Home Connection -> VPS -> Betfair Servers
vs
Home Connection -> Betfair servers

Choosing the right VPS will get you quicker communication between the VPS and betfair which may help you with botting.
Since you are manually triggering things, you additionally have to consider the communication delay between your Home Connection AND the delay between the VPS and betfairs servers.

As a general rule you could *probably* say, if you are botting, you are best off with a VPS, if you are manually triggering, probably best off without one...
Thebest147

Why not set up 4 versions of betangel all at 25 ms and cancel so you can loop all bets to trigger bets so that there are no time delay
Wolf1877

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:18 pm
Bonnie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 am
You say it's using the same internet connection but when using a vps the only information flowing to your local machine is the display and mouse/kbd data. The betfair data gets no further than the vps, so its the internet connection from the vps to BF which becomes more significant. Depending on your choice of vps, that should (but not always) be faster than a connection from BF to wherever you live.

However if you're triggering bets manually then the difference between the two setups won't make a material difference.
I'd say that for manual in play trading a PC connected directly to Betfair is likely to outperform a Mac connected to a VPS connected to Betfair.
Reasons are
(1) there will be an extra set of communication and hence extra latency/lag by going MAC --> VPS --> Betfair instead of PC --> Betfair
(2) A reasonably high powered PC with 16GB or more of RAM and NVME storage is likely to have far higher performance than most VPS options unless you are spending an awful lot per month on your VPS. If your VPS has only got say 1GB or 2GB of RAM it might need to "page" memory (i.e. write RAM memory onto a disk drive and then read it back later) which can slow processes down when you least want them to slow down.

The main benefit of a well located and adequately specified VPS is that its network connection into betfair is likely to be faster than most ADSL connections to betfair. You can only really benefit from that faster network connection speed though if your betting is automated to run standalone on the VPS itself.
tonyburgos

how much time are you hoping to save? so a lot time o a little time

Return to “Trading Horse racing”