Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
Derek27

eightbo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Seriously considering just packing this in and taking up a new sport
I wouldn't put you off taking up a new sport but you've posted some pretty good results on the gee-gees. :)
eightbo

PDC wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:06 pm
eightbo wrote:
What is the opportunity cost of switching.

IMO there is no harm in admitting something isn't for you and to move on. You could find you are a brilliant cricket trader for example. Though you often hear sayings along the lines of never give up, failure is just an opportunity to learn etc etc.

Horse Racing markets are normally the markets people want to crack as they get the most coverage but there is plenty of gold in the other hills, horse racing markets are some of the hardest to crack so it does make you wonder why people often try to crack them, there is likely to be much easier money to be had away from the crowds.

For example I know someone who manually trades the grey hounds, UK and Oz. They do it day in day out, it is boring they say but they make good money from it due to the shear volume of markets. They tried to automate what they do but it just didn't work so stuck to manual trading them.
Sounds like me. I can make enough to live on between greyhounds and US/AUS/RSA/NZL racing but it just doesn't feel like the reward matches the effort. Yesterday I traded greyhounds all day and tallied up £236 which is my best day so far but even that doesn't feel worth the 8-hour grind, you know? My attempts to replicate what I do in automation have all failed so far but I'm happy to continue trying there. I believe firmly in persisting, refining, improving to get good at things and that's always worked for me in life and I know that it is in theory possible for me to achieve profitability here but I fear it's gotten to a stage where I'm trying too hard in this market type and just getting in my own way as a result. I'm beginning to think it's no longer worth my time to pursue the daily UK/IRE markets without the guidance of someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I find it extremely difficult to accept the idea of giving up and accepting that I was unable to solve this puzzle but if I were able to make headway in another sport I'm sure I would soon forget about it. If anyone could help get me started exploring cricket or tennis I would greatly appreciate that.
napshnap

Check your pl page for Navan 16:15, guys. It's time when API crashed (timeout errors). Betfair calculated huge minus for me, I couldn't cancel those bets and what's most disturbing - api's heartbeat feature, which supposed to cover such situations, fired but all my bets remained untouched (not only horse markets but greyhounds too).
Situations like that happened earlier (except misfired heartbeat feature, that's a first time I see it fails) but Betfair took correсt decision to void those immune for cancelation bets. Also, it took them half an hour to settle this spoiled market.
I'll contact them, hope they'll take fair decision.I'll keep you all informed.
Very very disturbing.
PDC

Such a pleasure having 3 jumps cards on today. Was going to take the day off until I spotted it last night.

Can't wait for the end of the flat season and the jumps season getting going fully :)
Derek27

Definitely back to the hard grind after a lively weekend.
Euler

Somebody chasing losses this evening since a shorty lost in Ireland.
Euler

He got away with it, run ends with a win.
Dallas

Wonder if he's regretting buying this fantastic system
Dallas

Never been a fan of the two-card Tuesday in the summer but when it's also a card full of extra small fields then it's a definite day off for me
brimson25

eightbo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:08 pm
PDC wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:06 pm
eightbo wrote:
What is the opportunity cost of switching.

IMO there is no harm in admitting something isn't for you and to move on. You could find you are a brilliant cricket trader for example. Though you often hear sayings along the lines of never give up, failure is just an opportunity to learn etc etc.

Horse Racing markets are normally the markets people want to crack as they get the most coverage but there is plenty of gold in the other hills, horse racing markets are some of the hardest to crack so it does make you wonder why people often try to crack them, there is likely to be much easier money to be had away from the crowds.

For example I know someone who manually trades the grey hounds, UK and Oz. They do it day in day out, it is boring they say but they make good money from it due to the shear volume of markets. They tried to automate what they do but it just didn't work so stuck to manual trading them.
Sounds like me. I can make enough to live on between greyhounds and US/AUS/RSA/NZL racing but it just doesn't feel like the reward matches the effort. Yesterday I traded greyhounds all day and tallied up £236 which is my best day so far but even that doesn't feel worth the 8-hour grind, you know? My attempts to replicate what I do in automation have all failed so far but I'm happy to continue trying there. I believe firmly in persisting, refining, improving to get good at things and that's always worked for me in life and I know that it is in theory possible for me to achieve profitability here but I fear it's gotten to a stage where I'm trying too hard in this market type and just getting in my own way as a result. I'm beginning to think it's no longer worth my time to pursue the daily UK/IRE markets without the guidance of someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I find it extremely difficult to accept the idea of giving up and accepting that I was unable to solve this puzzle but if I were able to make headway in another sport I'm sure I would soon forget about it. If anyone could help get me started exploring cricket or tennis I would greatly appreciate that.

Have you thought about football?
Emmson

What a lovely little race at the gaffe track Bath 3.00....4 runners vying for favouritism.
sniffer66

Emmson wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm
What a lovely little race at the gaffe track Bath 3.00....4 runners vying for favouritism.
Scalping it now - made a little :)
ShaunWhite

eightbo wrote:
Yesterday I traded greyhounds all day and tallied up £236 which is my best day so far but even that doesn't feel worth the 8-hour grind
:o £30/hr after tax, 40hrs a week. That's equiv to a £63kpa real job. A certain amount of grind usually goes along with that.
Stop being such a lightweight :D
Emmson

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm
eightbo wrote:
Yesterday I traded greyhounds all day and tallied up £236 which is my best day so far but even that doesn't feel worth the 8-hour grind
:o £30/hr after tax, 40hrs a week. That's equiv to a £63kpa real job. A certain amount of grind usually goes along with that.
That caught my eye too, if true whats to complain about? Unless your Memphis Flash.
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:17 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm
eightbo wrote:
That caught my eye too, if true whats to complain about? Unless your Memphis Flash.
His luxury yacht is due it's annual service. ;)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”