Picture delay

The sport of kings.
dogform

Flock,

There are several options to get a service directly from the track.

1. The Perform Group (Progressive Sports Media) have an online "Watch and Trade" subscription service costing around £6000 per month. This gives the subscriber 4 or 5 logins (not sure if it is 4 or 5) and is intended for small syndicates. Each syndicate member would pay 1/4 or 1/5 of the £6000 monthly fee and would have a login to the online video player. The minimum term for the subscription is one year and it is a legally binding contract as far as I am aware. The Perform Group were also known as "Cobain" and the "Watch and Trade" service covers quite a few sports in addition to horse racing that "Cobain" used to provide.

2. Send a colleague to the track with an iPhone and "face time" the racing to an off track colleague. I think it likely that if track officials spotted someone doing this they would probably be ejected from the course.

3. Use the encrypted raw satellite feeds that are uplinked directly from the track. This requires decent quality satellite equipment and daily access to the unscrambling codes.

There might be other options, the above are only the ones I can think of.
tweebie1999

A couple of years ago I looked into in running trading and came to the conclusion it is only really possible to do it well by being at the course with a phone. TV delays are too long.

I got Betangel working on my iphone via their vpi and set off for sunny Doncaster. I sat in the stand and layed horses coming down the home straight and made quite a few quid. Then I went to Ripon, Thirsk, Catterick, Redcar, Beverley and Southwell. Guess what? No decent signal. In fact at Soutwell there was no signal at all on the net. So that was the end of that.

My next thought was to get a partner to sit on the end of the phone and me issue instructions via an ear piece. There are loads of people doing this at each race meeting and they don't seem to get challenged. I couldn't however find a reliable partner i.e someone who has time to sit at the computer in the afternoon everday.

In the end I decided to wait until 4G comes out over the whole country. I talked to a guy who works for O2 and he told me they are working with Vodaphone to cover the whole country with a blanket 4g signal. Should be out in 2016. If this transpires I will be back at the races with the iphone or ipad and Betangel.
Flock

Thanks very much

I just had a look at Perform but couldnt find the packages. Do you have a link.
dogform

Flock wrote:Thanks very much

http://www.performgroup.co.uk/WhiteLabelChannels

Scroll down the page to the "Watch and Trade" service. It is £6000 per month for 4 or 5 logins, minimum term of 1 year.
Flock

and if the artificial ATR delay was reduced they would not be able to do this!
PeterLe

dogform wrote:
Flock wrote:Thanks very much

http://www.performgroup.co.uk/WhiteLabelChannels

Scroll down the page to the "Watch and Trade" service. It is £6000 per month for 4 or 5 logins, minimum term of 1 year.
Dogform
Sounds a lot, but if you could share the cost between 5 people, it equates to £40/Day? Not bad if it truly provides an edge.

Do you know of anyone who uses this service? Just interested to know if people can make it pay
Thanks
regards
Peter
NileVentures

I would certainly be keen to form/join a syndicate if the service really provides a measurable edge.
Flock

Me too. Can we all login remotely from diff IPs?
dogform

PeterLe wrote: Dogform
Sounds a lot, but if you could share the cost between 5 people, it equates to £40/Day? Not bad if it truly provides an edge.

Do you know of anyone who uses this service? Just interested to know if people can make it pay
Thanks
regards
Peter

Peter,

I do not know anyone who is currently using the service, however, I have spoken with people who have had either a subscription in the past or participated in one of the free trials that they used to offer. One person I spoke to indicated that for one sport in particular on a free trial it was equivalent to walking round a room picking up fivers and tenners like confetti after a wedding. However, this was some time ago and the status quo could have changed.

The other feedback I received was mixed, the pictures were fast and seemed to provide an edge. On the downside the pictures were provided by an online video player and the quality was not so good. As far as I am aware, the logins could be used from a multitude of locations, the users did not need to all be in the same office or location.

Nowadays, I am not sure if the free trials are available and you have to put together your own syndicate for the logins. In the past, Cobain used to assist with forming a syndicate by aggregating interested individuals into a group, this is no longer the case as far as I am aware.

If the cost of £6000 per month covers 4 logins then this equates to approximately £50 per day per user plus VAT, if VAT is applied on the fee. The obvious step moving forward if some forum members were interested in a subscription would be to contact Perform directly to get the current facts.

As the contract with Perform is legally binding and for one year it would be in the interest of any syndicate to consult with a solicitor to draw up some type of syndicate agreement indicating each members liability should they decide to quit the syndicate mid subscription.
dogform

NileVentures wrote:I would certainly be keen to form/join a syndicate if the service really provides a measurable edge.
Sent you PM.
dogform

@Flock

sent you PM
Last edited by dogform on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flock

ATR have been promising a new product for live streaming and it`s been delayed by about 18 months for no reason. Anyone know anything?
JayBee

Is race radio (eg. William Hill's) delayed?

The bell coincides with a market going in-play so I am thinking there is little to no delay.
arbtim

At the end of the day there will always be a delay I think you just have to factor it in.
Personally I find refreshing feeds sometimes gets a better delay,if the race goes IP on BetAngel and the picture is clearly behind I'm out.
Personally I weigh up the obvious delay with the odds movements which gives a pretty clear picture of a race.
What I do find odd is the commentary is always behind sometimes by a whole fence.
Machibist

Anyone have feedback for perform?
I am interested in taking part/joining syndicate which for sharing subscription.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”