Betfair Price Files Download Manager

shortcut

MemphisFlash wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 pm
If only i,d found this on tuesday. took me 10 hours getting the info i wanted. This way took less than an hour
As I was going through the downloaded data I noticed that there are missing items in the spreadsheets. E.g. half a day of races not there, BSP absent for the entire day. How did you go about missing data? Input manually or there's alternative download source?
eightbo

Nigel you are a proper naughty geezer, never seen these XML/HTML commands before.

Horrendous that Betfair provides all this data then doesn't put any thought behind the filtering options — you can't even select "Horse racing only" on their site, let alone just UK horse racing data. They should really switch to a checkbox system but I suspect the price files haven't been in anyone's job description for a long time, possibly in the 2010-2012 window when they last changed the filters

...from:

to:
weemac

eightbo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 am

...........I suspect the price files haven't been in anyone's job description for a long time, possibly in the 2010-2012 window when they last changed the filters
I suspect you're right. It's done in a very haphazard, pretty amateurish way. A couple of times a year you can tell when the guy who normally does it goes on holiday, because the uploading just grinds to a halt for several days. And their Twitter helpdesk guy didn't even know of the existence of the download page when I contacted them after the page disappeared into the ether for 2 or 3 days.

You can't help but feel betfair is a company whose employees don't understand their own product, outwith their own specific area of expertise. You see it all the time on their forum; people describing in frustration how they have to explain to BF staff how the basics work.
eightbo

I don't expect them to train their staff on all aspects as there's so much going on but if you're not going provide training then you should really have documentation ready as a reference point for whoever's handling the issue. Problem is it's just not there and they have to keep bouncing you to other people until someone actually knows what you're talking about.
firlandsfarm

shortcut wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 am
There was a problem accessing the files, it turned out to be that the URL had changed. They switched to a secure server. Make sure you change VBA code to add "s" after the http.

Double check your URLs and make sure the real life addresses match the ones your program is using.

I attached corrected spreadsheet in any case.
Just found another 'update' … the VB code looks for file names that contain "uswin" and "usplace" whereas the Betfair files are "usawin" and "usaplace" (renamed?) … you need to insert the "a" in the FileType variable for the USWin and USPlace sub-routines.
firlandsfarm

Whilst we are on this subject and just as a heads up … Betfair simplified the BSP values to 2 decimal places for 2011 onwards, prior to that the BSP was calculated with super accuracy … up to 14 decimal places! Just mention it because if you are doing a historical data mining exercise it can distort your results especially when 'joining' records on the BSP value.
weemac

I'm still seeing up to 13 decimal places:

Sassy Lassy 42.4932625653687
Sweetest Smile 29.271759610586
Capital Force 75.9722384463064
spreadbetting

They still display to 14 decimal points, depends how you've set up whatever program you use to view them. If you open the CSV files in notepad you'll see the raw data and a lot of the other data goes to 30ish decimal points :) I automate and dump direct to a MYSQL database set to 2 dp as I don't need the data drilled any further than that.
firlandsfarm

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:32 pm
They still display to 14 decimal points, depends how you've set up whatever program you use to view them. If you open the CSV files in notepad you'll see the raw data and a lot of the other data goes to 30ish decimal points :) I automate and dump direct to a MYSQL database set to 2 dp as I don't need the data drilled any further than that.
Well you learn something every day! Thank you spreadbetting and you are quite correct. It would appear that my 'supplier' of racing data decided to truncate the BSP from 2011 onwards! I never realised that so assumed it was the data itself. It only came to light when doing similar to you within an Access DB when I noticed shorter numbers, no real point beyond 2 dp's.
davevart

Hello

I get the attached error msg on win 10 when i click on setup within the spreadsheet which says 'the code for this project must be updated for use on 64bit systems..' am i doing something wrong

regards
BetAngel error msg.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davevart

Just seen ptrsafe posts...sorry for ever doubting you.....awesome! Thanks Nigel
mcgoo

Great work (again) Nigel :D
Just mucking about with pivot tables etc
Noticed something odd.In the Aus Win files the IPMIN column is filled with 1001 values as the IP min (over 70k entries by the look) The associated IPMAX entry is a 1 for all of the 1001 entries. Is the data bung or have I missed something ?

Cheers
weemac

These markets didn't go in-play.
mcgoo

Thanks weemac , I wondered about that after I posted ..good to confirm
One more question..in the UK win data there are entries of 1 for some of the morningwap rows. I presume this is where there was no available (volume@)opening price before 11 am but if something else please let me know.

Thanks again
weemac

mcgoo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:45 pm

I presume this is where there was no available (volume@)opening price before 11 am

Thanks again
Correct.

Return to “Betfair Data”