How to know if a strategy works with data?

ruthlessimon

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:26 pm
worth an investment I'd say if you can stand the idea of looking at the ladders for 6hrs a day to spot 2 chances.
That is one of the serious issues, problem is it goes back all the way to that infamous Sept thread.

I mentally cannot cope with 1 or 2 valid markets (i.e. might not even be traded) per day
tradergreen

Dallas wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 pm
The 'free' excel Betfair data files only contain so much info so it depends what is your trying to 'backtest' as to if it's even possible.

But you're going to need to provide some idea of what you're looking so someone can point you in the right direction
Hello Dallas again,

For me would be interest to know the winners, starting odds, distance, surface, age... in bold is the most important, because the other general characteristics of the race would be sure.

Do you know if there is a website where are winners with starting odds during a period of time like a year or season...?

Thank you. :)
tradergreen

Hello again,

Excuse me, but one newbie's question more, why people lay at low odds between 1.01 to 1.15 when the market is recent? The only thing that they are looking is a "miracle"? A lot of little loses looking a big win?

Sorry, I am newbie in a Horses Racing markets.

Thank you again. :)
LinusP

tradergreen wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:59 am
Hello again,

Excuse me, but one newbie's question more, why people lay at low odds between 1.01 to 1.15 when the market is recent? The only thing that they are looking is a "miracle"? A lot of little loses looking a big win?

If you can be at the front laying at 1.01 is profitable long term. Many people choose to lay at low odds due to hedging / believing the course has a bias making it profitable although someone must be losing.
tradergreen

LinusP wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 am
tradergreen wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:59 am
Hello again,

If you can be at the front laying at 1.01 is profitable long term. Many people choose to lay at low odds due to hedging / believing the course has a bias making it profitable although someone must be losing.
Thanks LinusP.

Excuse, but one question more, have they automotion with a back bet a few ticks around 1.03 or 1.04? Or simply more than once each 100 times a horse who is matched a 1.01 loss the race?

Because the last situations it is difficult to believe.

Thank you again LinusP
LinusP

The latter and you would be surprised, most guys on course and those sat at home have 1.01 plugged in when backing so it regularly gets turner over (£700 odd was matched at 1000 yesterday on a winner). Yes it’s mad and I have no idea how they make money (many don’t).
tradergreen

LinusP wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:02 pm
The latter and you would be surprised, most guys on course and those sat at home have 1.01 plugged in when backing so it regularly gets turner over (£700 odd was matched at 1000 yesterday on a winner). Yes it’s mad and I have no idea how they make money (many don’t).
Ok, thank you for your help LinusP.

I appreciate so much this.

Return to “Betfair Data”