Data-capture spreadsheet

enginsbali

data.betfair.com is not working anymore and I do not understand how I can change the data format from .tar or .bz2 files to CSV etc to work on excel. Do you guys know how to work with data from https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home?

Thanks!
dt888

Does anybody know if I can add sheets to this spreadsheet simply by copy and paste or is it not that straightforward?
ShaunWhite

There's a link to the data in csv format somewhere in this thread....
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=13157&p=141407&hilit=Data
gstar1975

Can this spreadsheet be used in Practice mode?
Lordswood77

Hi all,

Is there a way to scrape data from the daily sky sports racecards into excel and then run a macro that allocates points to a specific entry?

In my head it seems possible but I have a limited knowledge of excel.

For my assessment of each horse/race I consider 5 factors (class of race vs last race, wins, placed runs, weight and form against class). For each factor I allocate points and then total them up, any horse with less than 11 points warrants a second look. I then consider these horses performance over course, distance and going (using the Stats section on RP).

Eg

Class if a horse if up in class then it scores 3 points, same class 2 points and down in class 1 point
Wins If a horse has won less than 20% of its last (6) races then it would score 4 points, 21-40% score 3, 41-70% score 2 and 71%+ score 1 point. The same scoring applies for placed runs which includes wins.
Weight Top weight (when taking into account allowance) would be 3 points, within 5lbs of top weight scores 2 points and everything else 1 point
Form/Class If the horse finishes in the top 3 LTO in the same class or higher then it scores 1 point. Top 3 in the grade below scores 2 points and everything else

The process is largely based on Robert Dowst

https://practicalpunting.com.au/pp-onli ... 1-20020720

Any thoughts or views?
neilbard

Hi Guys as Switesh seems to have left the forum can anyone help, the spreadsheet doesn't seem to work correctly for me, I keep getting run time errors when I try and switch between races in the graph tab, I'm running excel 2016? Most appreciated..
scoobie

chris_ri wrote:
Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm
Thanks for looking switesh, I think I've got to the bottom of it. Im running 64 bit Office 2010, by default Office 2010 installs the 32bit version on 64 bit Windows and I suspect most people are running 32 bit Office on 64bit Windows. After a bit of research the following change to Module1 VBA code resolved the problem.

Replaced

Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

with

Private Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

note the PtrSafe modifier.

Thanks again for the great spreadsheet.

Chris
I have the same error code , but im not that tech savvy , can you give me any advice please , thankyou.
scoobie

chris_ri wrote:
Thanks for looking switesh, I think I've got to the bottom of it. Im running 64 bit Office 2010, by default Office 2010 installs the 32bit version on 64 bit Windows and I suspect most people are running 32 bit Office on 64bit Windows. After a bit of research the following change to Module1 VBA code resolved the problem.

Replaced

with

Chris
What do i need to go on to do the same please ? I am not that tech savvy , so any pointers would be great , thankyou.
sa7med

scoobie wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 pm
chris_ri wrote:

Replaced

with

Chris
What do i need to go on to do the same please ? I am not that tech savvy , so any pointers would be great , thankyou.
open the VBA editor in the developer tab on excel, and open the modules and add PtrSafe where appropriate such as above. If you don't have the developer tab then add it in the settings.
scoobie

sa7med wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 pm
scoobie wrote:
chris_ri wrote:

Replaced

with

Chris
open the VBA editor in the developer tab on excel, and open the modules and add PtrSafe where appropriate such as above. If you don't have the developer tab then add it in the settings.

Many many thanks for the help. Where is the modules ?
sa7med

scoobie wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 pm
sa7med wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:32 pm
scoobie wrote:

Many many thanks for the help. Where is the modules ?
https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins- ... cro-excel/

you want to edit the code in the sheets and in the modules in the VBA editor
scoobie

Fantastic , thankyou for providing the link aswell so helpful , thankyou once again.
Mark-H

Has anyone managed to adapt this spreadsheet to import the historical data that is currently on offer for free? It seems like a fantastic way to check out some new markets while we're in lockdown.

I've taken a look at the VBA but can't for the life of me figure out how to import the data from the Betfair JSON file. I'm guessing that it will probably require processing the JSON using Python to the right layout and then pasting into the relevant data sheet. Am I on the right track?

Would love to know your opinions!

Mark H.
ShaunWhite

Mark-H wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:10 am
I've taken a look at the VBA but can't for the life of me figure out how to import the data from the Betfair JSON file. I'm guessing that it will probably require processing the JSON using Python to the right layout and then pasting into the relevant data sheet. Am I on the right track?
If you google "JSON to CSV converters" you should find what you need.
Mark-H

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 pm
If you google "JSON to CSV converters" you should find what you need.
Looks like a plan! I'll take a look, cheers.

Mark H.

Return to “Betfair Data”