Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
LeTiss

I can't believe what happened last night........if you are 2-1 down in a WC SF with 8 mins to go, and you get awarded a penalty.....what a lifeline, especially when you have the competitions top goalscorer!

Where was she, where was Ellen White?........whilst a CB had the guts to step up to take the penalty, she was hiding like a coward. If she was CF of any note, she would have grabbed that ball
soccersaint

Echo that 100%

I was one of those screaming at the tv...let your top striker take it for gods sake...why or why didn’t she take the pen...Christ we throw it away don’t we !

Glad to say I was in the USA camp for a win anyway but I certainly wouldn’t have minded taking the loss...

Another close game in store tonight ...not sure which way it’s going to go...Holland perhaps have the slight edge given they have more than one player who can hit the net 😁

I love that the girls don’t play to the ref and all that nonsense that’s crept into the men’s game..breath of fresh air...

What a fabulous tournament the WWC has been and the level of play sometimes was a joy to behold....

Well Done All
soccersaint

That Copa America thing is so poor...I can’t believe I stayed up so late to watch a circus in the last game Uruguay having 3 goals ruled out through VAR....Chile having 2 goals chalked off the night before with the help of VAR...
Let’s hope it’s not an epidemic 😷
Last edited by soccersaint on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenmark

Steph Houghton probably was wrong to take responsibility. But courage is a virtue. But overall if you look at the progress of the Lionesses over the years, its an upward trajectory.
And I agree its been very entertaining and you can only see womens football continuing to grow.
Hope they keep their fair play up.
I think its unique selling point over the histrionics of the mens game.
weemac

After becoming sickened of the constant diving, gamesmanship and cheating in the men's game, I've really enjoyed watching these women's matches. But the use of VAR needs sorting out - it's ruining the game, imo.
Euler

I agree, VAR is a nightmare. I am not looking forward to seeing it next year. It really disrupts the game and it seems to add to controversy than remove it.

I think they should keep it, but introduce a challenge system and give the choice to the team captain or coach.
wearthefoxhat

I thought VAR was brought in to focus on key decision areas, ie: Review a goal scored/Penalty given,then reviewed/Red card potential offence.

Also, if the ref makes a decision and then VAR office say, "worth checking that one" the ref can say fxxk off, decision made, unless any of the above. That way the game flows, if a player shouts at the ref, "check VAR" book em (danno) and ask them, "anything else you want to add?"
Kai

I still think VAR as an idea is good but the execution so far is not. The Premier League could iron out the kinks and show the way forward. Would be interesting if a team was given a chance to challenge a decision once per half or something (similar to tennis), you don't want 10 VAR checks per match to constantly break the flow of the game unless they could really smooth it over.
Euler

I'll have no idea if I should cheer a goal now as it seems every other goal is going to VAR. It's completely deflating.

Instead of shouting goal, it's sort of, hurrah we may have possibly scored!
Dallas

The day a South American commentator begins to scream VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Then you know its killed the game
weemac

The amount of time taken to decide to look at a VAR replay is ridiculous. Scotland's (disallowed) penalty save went to VAR during a foul in a period of play well after the event. That just can't be right. The decision to go there should be pretty much instantaneous - cricket has a countdown timer, tennis has VAR challenges, Rugby League has an insta-VAR thing, but the football authorities are useless. It took them 10 years too long to use it, and it will doubtless take them 10 years too long to get to grips with it.
soccersaint

Think we are all in agreement VAR will destroy our game if it isn’t used with a degree of common sense.

Goals being chalked off for a boot lace infringement that’s just going to make the unders more popular than ever before.
It all adds up to more pens, less goals and deflated and angry fans.

Like I said 5 goals ruled by VAR in 2 Copa games is something that’s going to become the norm...most of those goals would have stood a few seasons ago...

Oh well....they know best don’t they ?
firlandsfarm

I don't see why they can't adopt the cricket approach, overrule the howlers but keep the reasonables. The England 'offside' goal would have stood the way cricket applies VAR. Go back to the ref. having a real input. If the decision was reasonable given that it has to be made instantly then let it stand. But they won't do that because they don't have the balls of the cricketing authorities where VAR is really a means of telling the umpire when they got it wrong beyond acceptable parameters. Football has always protected a referee's decision at the expense of the game.
Kai

soccersaint wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 pm
Let’s hope the Chileans don’t make the same error tonight...got to be the 2nd certainty of the competition after Brazil beating The Argies...😀

Chile to win tonight✅
Chile to win to nil ✅
Brazil to lift the trophy✅
Soon as someone made such a prediction I just had a feeling that Chile was going to lose emphatically or something along those lines :mrgreen:

Sorry I didn't mean to point that out for bants sake but seriously, this in my opinion is exactly why there's a big edge in trading football and there always will be, probably unlike any other edge that you can find outside of sports trading. The market models the prices based on prematch "opinions" and because of that they are more or less set in stone for inplay, prematch trends no matter how strong can't really correct that before the match because they are also based on prematch opinions. Once the match goes under way it can go off in a number of different directions but because of time decay and the prematch price modeling the movement of those prices is quite robotic and predictable in its behavior, despite the market noise around it. If it's painfully obvious that the current price is completely wrong the market will nudge in this direction but it can't really dramatically change its opinion, and that in a nutshell is what creates opportunities for us traders to step in and take advantage of the wrong prices, but only if we can work out what the real current price should be.

In other words, football is such a fast dynamic sport with so many players and factors involved that it's impossible for the market to price everything correctly all of the time. So to a trader it doesn't matter who's going to win or lift the trophy, the only thing that should matter are the prices themselves, if a price is too cheap or too expensive or just plain stupid like prices can often be, especially in the unders markets, then why not abuse those prices to achieve that sweet +EV. I'm sure football traders for the most part want to keep everything for themselves, but in truth it's no different than going out to a store and finding a cheap price for something, the ability to find value in something as a shopaholic is no different than the ability to find value in something as a trader, there's no magical formula behind it and it's entirely based on experience, which means anyone can do it if they spent enough time doing it. This is all in the context of football but the same or similar approach could be applied elsewhere as well.
StellaBot

I notice in China game soon 12.35
The two Shanghai teams I rated as under 3.5 goals very odds on
It seems the "smart money" is on over 3.5
You heard it here ;)

Return to “Football trading”