Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
weemac

The amount of time taken to decide to look at a VAR replay is ridiculous. Scotland's (disallowed) penalty save went to VAR during a foul in a period of play well after the event. That just can't be right. The decision to go there should be pretty much instantaneous - cricket has a countdown timer, tennis has VAR challenges, Rugby League has an insta-VAR thing, but the football authorities are useless. It took them 10 years too long to use it, and it will doubtless take them 10 years too long to get to grips with it.
soccersaint

Think we are all in agreement VAR will destroy our game if it isn’t used with a degree of common sense.

Goals being chalked off for a boot lace infringement that’s just going to make the unders more popular than ever before.
It all adds up to more pens, less goals and deflated and angry fans.

Like I said 5 goals ruled by VAR in 2 Copa games is something that’s going to become the norm...most of those goals would have stood a few seasons ago...

Oh well....they know best don’t they ?
firlandsfarm

I don't see why they can't adopt the cricket approach, overrule the howlers but keep the reasonables. The England 'offside' goal would have stood the way cricket applies VAR. Go back to the ref. having a real input. If the decision was reasonable given that it has to be made instantly then let it stand. But they won't do that because they don't have the balls of the cricketing authorities where VAR is really a means of telling the umpire when they got it wrong beyond acceptable parameters. Football has always protected a referee's decision at the expense of the game.
Kai

soccersaint wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 pm
Let’s hope the Chileans don’t make the same error tonight...got to be the 2nd certainty of the competition after Brazil beating The Argies...😀

Chile to win tonight✅
Chile to win to nil ✅
Brazil to lift the trophy✅
Soon as someone made such a prediction I just had a feeling that Chile was going to lose emphatically or something along those lines :mrgreen:

Sorry I didn't mean to point that out for bants sake but seriously, this in my opinion is exactly why there's a big edge in trading football and there always will be, probably unlike any other edge that you can find outside of sports trading. The market models the prices based on prematch "opinions" and because of that they are more or less set in stone for inplay, prematch trends no matter how strong can't really correct that before the match because they are also based on prematch opinions. Once the match goes under way it can go off in a number of different directions but because of time decay and the prematch price modeling the movement of those prices is quite robotic and predictable in its behavior, despite the market noise around it. If it's painfully obvious that the current price is completely wrong the market will nudge in this direction but it can't really dramatically change its opinion, and that in a nutshell is what creates opportunities for us traders to step in and take advantage of the wrong prices, but only if we can work out what the real current price should be.

In other words, football is such a fast dynamic sport with so many players and factors involved that it's impossible for the market to price everything correctly all of the time. So to a trader it doesn't matter who's going to win or lift the trophy, the only thing that should matter are the prices themselves, if a price is too cheap or too expensive or just plain stupid like prices can often be, especially in the unders markets, then why not abuse those prices to achieve that sweet +EV. I'm sure football traders for the most part want to keep everything for themselves, but in truth it's no different than going out to a store and finding a cheap price for something, the ability to find value in something as a shopaholic is no different than the ability to find value in something as a trader, there's no magical formula behind it and it's entirely based on experience, which means anyone can do it if they spent enough time doing it. This is all in the context of football but the same or similar approach could be applied elsewhere as well.
StellaBot

I notice in China game soon 12.35
The two Shanghai teams I rated as under 3.5 goals very odds on
It seems the "smart money" is on over 3.5
You heard it here ;)
StellaBot

:D

edit and with 2 goals I believe disallowed by VAR
greenmark

Bonkers game Eng v Swe Eng 2-0 down now 2-2.

Oh look VAR again. Jeez! 2-1 Sweden.
Last edited by greenmark on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm
Makes a nice change for England to recover rather than throw away a 2 goal lead
wearthefoxhat

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 pm
VAR in the mix again...
greenmark

I thought VAR came if there was a clear refereeing mistake? That replay wasn't really conclusive for me. Certainly not a clear mistake :?
weemac

Extremely high standards are required in order to be a referee, but what standards apply to these (incredibly young-looking) people watching a screen and making potentially career/championship-changing decisions? Who are these people?
Kafkaesque

weemac wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:29 pm
Extremely high standards are required in order to be a referee, but what standards apply to these (incredibly young-looking) people watching a screen and making potentially career/championship-changing decisions? Who are these people?
They are refs at the same level as the one on the pitch. Or I should say, the primary VAR ref is. Unsure as to the qualification requirements of the two VAR assistents.
weemac

Well that's something, I suppose. But it looks like they're poring over screens just looking for anything to which they can alert the referee after the event. That's what appeared to happen with England's handball equalizer. If that's true then they exert abnormal influence over the outcome of every game.
greenmark

If we get the same feed as the ref for the video review, then I'm astounded that the England goal was disallowed. 2 players jostling for a high bouncing ball. And it hits the goal-scorer on the arm, barely visible in repeated slow motion replays. VAR needs more work IMO.
Kai

Bad refs make VAR look far worse than it is, probably best to save your judgement for the premier league this season.

Return to “Football trading”