Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm
I thought VAR came if there was a clear refereeing mistake? That replay wasn't really conclusive for me. Certainly not a clear mistake :?
Yep totally agree greenmark. VAR is being misapplied. As I said, it should be used as the cricketing authorities use it with the referee's decision standing unless there is a clear margin of mistake.
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:42 pm
Well in this announcement they do claim that they listen to feedback from customers and that they've already updated the Exchange rules based on that feedback: https://betting.betfair.com/betfair-ann ... 118-6.html
Oh come on Kai you're not being taken in by that are you! Every day you hear the same old same old … "we take XYZ very seriously" … "we put XYZ first in our procedures" … "we are working hard to correct XYZ" and the media let them get away with such bland statements.
soccersaint

England robbed !!!

We did say VAR will kill the game...yet again what a disastrous piece of reffing...
That’s cost us a bronze and a golden boot no doubt...

It’s becoming ludicrous ... ridiculous and embarrassing...

Take a look at the Nigeria v Cameroon game... :D

Great game of football, great to watch and a great relief...why ?

No VAR to spoil the party as for sure 2 of those goals would have been chalked off...
greenmark

Women's World Cup Final. Full house. Superb!!
greenmark

Congratulations USA. And what a brilliant tournament.
Dallas

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:57 pm
Congratulations USA. And what a brilliant tournament.

Missed the final but thoroughly enjoyed the tournament, really good to see it continue to build on from Canada in 2015 and continue to gain a larger audience
Dallas

Just heard the sad news Vinnie Jones wife lost her 6-year battle with cancer yesterday.
Emmson

Delighted Daniel Sturridge has been reunited with his Pomeranian Lucci.
greenmark

Emmson wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:45 am
....and Allardyce turned down an approach from Newcastle.
What is Mike Ashley on? :?
Naffman

greenmark wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 am
Emmson wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:45 am
....and Allardyce turned down an approach from Newcastle.
What is Mike Ashley on? :?
Looks like they want a defensive manager, which tbf is the only way they stayed up last year
greenmark

Newcastle is a sleeping giant.
Ashley is all about margins.
Newcastle need a big investor.
I'd love Newcastle flying up the table.
Kafkaesque

greenmark wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 pm
Newcastle is a sleeping giant.
Ashley is all about margins.
Newcastle need a big investor.
I'd love Newcastle flying up the table.
That's a myth if ever there was one.

Famously they haven't won a trophy for more than 60 years. If you put it in a less accessable context, then it sounds even worse imo.

Since they last won the league, 18 different clubs have won it.

Since they last won the FA Cup, 20 different clubs have won that trophy.

IIRC they're 9th or 10th among English clubs for major trophies.

You'd be hard pressed to argue they're objectively even a top 10 club in England by historical standards. So, giant. Not so much. A big club that's lost its way, sure, but let's not get carried away. Those geordies will do that fine on their own.
greenmark

OK Kafkaesque. "A big club that's lost its way". You made good points and I probably did exaggerate. But I've always thought they have 2 important ingredients. A decent stadium (I'm told, never been myself). And loyal and enthusiastic fanbase. Obviously, they need a decent owner, investment and a good manager. And none of that is likely any time soon. Which I think is a shame for the Toon Army and football.
Wolf1877

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 pm
You'd be hard pressed to argue they're objectively even a top 10 club in England by historical standards. So, giant. Not so much. A big club that's lost its way, sure, but let's not get carried away. Those geordies will do that fine on their own.
Newcastle are a massive club. Average attendance over 51,000 and ranked 7th by attendance in the Premier League and 11,000 clear of the currently 8th ranked club Chelsea. Proper fans too. Not like the tourists and know nothing plastics that frequent Man United and some of the London clubs.

Success on the pitch is difficult because apart from Ashley they have always struggled to attract and retain top players in such a geographically remote outpost.
attendance.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai

Not much point arguing on how big Newcastle is as a club, they have a large fanbase with a big iconic stadium and a good bit of history too so they are certainly big enough, they just haven't been nowhere near competitive enough in terms of football because that wasn't a priority for the current owner. My brother lives in the city and he has grown to like the Geordies, it would be a shame if such a club was being used for sportswashing purposes by the next owners. I agree that it's a sleeping giant like Liverpool was before Klopp arrived, if I was a billionaire looking to invest in football I could see very little risk in acquiring Newcastle and a huge potential upside.

As a huge Liverpool fan I can sympathize with their current situation and somewhat compare it to the Hicks & Gillett era when Liverpool was on the brink of administration and nowhere near competitive enough in terms of football. Those were some dark times for the club, with Hodgson as manager and the likes of Konchesky and Poulsen in the first eleven. Newcastle probably needs a massive win off the pitch before they can start being competitive again on it.

Return to “Football trading”