One strategy isn t enough i guess...

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
offlimit88

Hi, sorry for my english. Well i ve studied a lot, created shitty and non profitable strategies and finally i've created a nice and profitable one.
Problem is, that it is not that scalable, i mean.
I could have 100, 150 matches per month where i can apply my strategy to it. With stakes of 100 euro i calculated a net profit of 200, 300 euro... well it does not sucks, but that is not worth the time either.

It would be necessary to raise stakes (and get matched), at least up to 500 euro, and this won't ever happen.

So i wanted to ask, is this a problem for everyoney trading in football?
ruthlessimon

Not just football. This is a big problem, across all sports, any market.

I've seen a couple of beautiful strategies (horse racing), but are ones that simply cannot be scaled. & unfortunately, that leads them to the bin (for me anyway) :cry: but this is a problem of goals. A bot doesn't have ambitions, but humans do, maybe that's a systematic bias which explains why minor biases exist.

So if you can, I'd say automate it, then devote that time to new ideas
LinusP

I started with strategies like this, but you need as many as possible, 10*300 suddenly looks good every month.
LostShaman

I'm only relatively new to trading (under 12 months), and have a not dissimilar issue. I've identified one or two strategies I believe are profitable but the volume of games that qualify for them are limited (more like 50 per month). Liquidity/scalability less of an issue though since they relay on the major markets and leagues. I do need far more strategies to make a good absolute return.
offlimit88

I' am a bit disappointed i have to say, so much time developing 5-6 strategies, testing them for months for profitability.
Listening to berry's and webb's videos it seemed not so obvious to have so many profitable strategies for a decent return.
I think it s just football, my opinion. It would be better to focus my time in other sports
Dallas

Your strategy must involve lower leagues or markets other than the main Match Odds, O/U, CS etc if it can't be scaled beyond 100euro?

The main football markets are very liquid and should easily take up to and even over 5 figure stakes without eroding an edge
offlimit88

I play on match odds.
Assuming i always take the actual price on the market, i won t ever have problems with matching 500 euro or more.
My problem is that i always need 2-3 ticks more, and take my position pretty fast , so i have to offer 500 euro at my odd, and get it matched ... I'm having problems with stakes of only 100...
A solution could be playing on several exchanges and raising stakes everywhere, a hell of a job
jimibt

offlimit88 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:57 pm
I play on match odds.
Assuming i always take the actual price on the market, i won t ever have problems with matching 500 euro or more.
My problem is that i always need 2-3 ticks more, and take my position pretty fast , so i have to offer 500 euro at my odd, and get it matched ... I'm having problems with stakes of only 100...
A solution could be playing on several exchanges and raising stakes everywhere, a hell of a job
.. or just build a bank and scale up organically that way??
offlimit88

jimibt wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm
offlimit88 wrote:
I play on match odds.
If after hundred of matches, your edge will give you only 200, 300 euros net profit per month, it's ok, i don t spit on that, you can automate all process and no worries.
But it took me thousand of hours and a lot of effort and study to achieve it.
Sure i can grow a bank, but if i can t scale up what s the point?
And i did not read anywhere of traders that need many strategies to do trading as a job. Maybe that was my fault, but i was pretty sure that one strategy was enough.
So, what traders like Caan and Peter should say, in my opinion, is that once you are profitable, you will probably need 3 or 4 other profitable strategies in order to live with trading.
Especially with football
jimibt

offlimit88 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:17 pm
jimibt wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm
offlimit88 wrote:
I play on match odds.
If after hundred of matches, your edge will give you only 200, 300 euros net profit per month, it's ok, i don t spit on that, you can automate all process and no worries.
But it took me thousand of hours and a lot of effort and study to achieve it.
Sure i can grow a bank, but if i can t scale up what s the point?
And i did not read anywhere of traders that need many strategies to do trading as a job. Maybe that was my fault, but i was pretty sure that one strategy was enough.
So, what traders like Caan and Peter should say, in my opinion, is that once you are profitable, you will probably need 3 or 4 other profitable strategies in order to live with trading.
Especially with football
as Dallas mentioned, depending on the type of games you select, you can virtually go in hard with £1000's and still get matched. in particular, if looking at the OU markets, you can lay the unders at pretty low odds twds the end of the game (in games where you've read the action to dictate further goals). in these sceanrios, you can double your stake fairly easily, thus organincally scaling your p&l
ruthlessimon

offlimit88 wrote:
i did not read anywhere of traders that need many strategies to do trading as a job.

Maybe that was my fault, but i was pretty sure that one strategy was enough.

It's a really interesting point. I think Peter's afraid to admit the complexities, imo - perhaps validly, because it would put people off.

Trading to the standard where it becomes a job - is totally different - to merely having an edge

Yes there are beautiful snippets, but I agree with Liam, we're gonna need 10^300 - or reams of caveats within an overarching method.

IMO: There's easy money; but there's not an easy salary - big difference
Dallas

offlimit88 wrote:

Especially with football
Peter has often mentioned in his video's, blogs and on here how you are always needing to adapt to the market because the market is always evolving even a strategy/edge that makes 10K a month now and for the next 12 mths may suddenly stop next March or diminish down to just a fraction of that.

That's why so many have come and gone over the years, or have diverted onto other income sources as they found something that 'worked' at that time but then failed to develop it any further and look for new ideas in what are ever-evolving markets.
max_usted

offlimit88 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:47 pm
Hi, sorry for my english. Well i ve studied a lot, created shitty and non profitable strategies and finally i've created a nice and profitable one.
Problem is, that it is not that scalable, i mean.
I could have 100, 150 matches per month where i can apply my strategy to it. With stakes of 100 euro i calculated a net profit of 200, 300 euro... well it does not sucks, but that is not worth the time either.

It would be necessary to raise stakes (and get matched), at least up to 500 euro, and this won't ever happen.

So i wanted to ask, is this a problem for everyoney trading in football?
I think it's more than just a 'scaling-up' issue, it's also psychological. If you just have one niche little technique that you focus on, you make yourself blind to other opportunities that exist in that particular market. You develop a bias towards deploying that strategy, even when the market conditions/game circumstances are not suitable for it. I can't see how it is possible to be successful with just one strategy as it produces an approach which is just too narrow-minded.

Return to “Football trading”