VAR and BA issues

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Dabbla

Yesterday’s FA cup had a red card overturned by VAR.
The market reopened after the red card, VAR kicked in ,the red card was overturned and the prices rolled back.
The problem is that BA still showed the P&L from before then roll back. (not the adjusted prices)
pnl wolves man u.PNG
betfair balance.PNG

This obviously is not a good situation on many levels.
My P&L settings are set to streaming, could this be part of the issue.
Is there anything BA could do about this, so this error does not happen ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

If Betfair void a bet, there is no way for Bet Angel to know about it unless the user removes all reference to that market from Bet Angel for a couple of minutes and then reopens it (i.e. not active on any screen, guardian, chart etc).
This is because when Betfair void a bet, they don't change anything about the bet id or time matched, so BA is unaware that anything has changed.

If it's going to be an ongoing problem, ie Betfair are going to continue with the way are currently doing it in VAR situations then BA could maybe start calling to request voided bets at set intervals although this could pose its own problems with Betfair's rules about call frequency.
Dabbla

I had the same problem again last night.
Instead of BA calling to request voided bets could there be a manual button, so when we see a Var decision given we can manually call for void bets to update BA.

Obviously this won’t be any help for automation but it’s a start.
aperson

I almost got hit by this last night as well. I laid the current score after I though a penalty may be awarded to city. When it was missed I closed my position and it wasn't until half time when I looked on the betfair website I realised the initial lay bet had been voided. It worked out for me this time as it was still 0-0 but it concerns me going forward.

I don't really understand the betfair rules on VAR. They state that "As of April 1 2019, if the referee decides to award the penalty, goal or red card, retrospectively due to VAR, no bets matched prior to the time at which the video assistant referee commences a review will be voided." They were slow to suspend the market so I guess they rolled back the time to when the VAR decision was looked into as opposed to the incident itself?

However on another occasion I didn't have my back bet voided of the current score which was placed after a penalty incident which ended up costing me, even though their rules stated at the time they would void such bets. Furthermore last night you could still lay 0-0 (albeit at long odds) when Son's goal was being reviewed so people were obviously betting on the VAR overturning the goal despite Betfair saying "Where a material event is cancelled due to a determination made via a video assistant referee, Betfair will void all bets which are matched between the occurrence of the material event and the cancellation of it." So was this just free money from people who don't understand the bet's would be voided? I would've got involved but based on previous experience I don't trust Betfair to implement their rules consistently.
Dallas

Since the introduction of VAR my view has always been that it would be much better to just do away with suspensions and leave it unmanaged, it works perfectly well for Tennis with just the bet delays.
BFDon

BFs handling of it is shocking. In my experience half the time they don't even bother suspending for a review and if they do it's about a minute after the incident. So they want to protect customers when a goal/penalty occurs yet they let people bet during a review building up a position. A position which then influences further hedging bets later in the game. 2 hours after FT when you've been paid out they decide to void certain bets. For the rules to be workable as they stand they have to be far better at suspending on reviews, and if they can't be then they have to change it to say all bets stand
Last edited by BFDon on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firlandsfarm

I don't football trade so have never experienced the effect of VAR but what do the bookies do, do they suspend for the whole VAR period or void bets?

Return to “Football trading”