Selecting what to trade for a newbie to tennis

firlandsfarm

Hi, never traded tennis before but as I'm retired and at home most days I thought I might have a look at Wimbledon. I thought the way to dip a toe would be to limit volatility whilst using matches that offered something to trade on (e.g. ignore the Murray, Federer etc. matches in the early rounds). So I chose to only trade the first 2 sets, maybe the third in men's matches if 1-1 after two, and where the odds for both players are in a close range around 2.0 (say between 1.70 - 2.40 at the beginning of the set). I made £7.24 from 3 matches yesterday on £10 stakes, not exactly a 'get rich quick' return but encouraging! Would people who trade tennis say that's a reasonable way to approach it first time around or was I just lucky and should approach it differently?
Bluesky

I have not traded tennis yet but its something I intended to look at eventually. Hopefully someone who does will soon reply. Your approach sounds reasonable to me, unless you hear different I would probably carry on doing what your doing now. I know PW has some tennis trading videos up on Youtube, I have not looked at them, but they might give you some ideas to work on.
Euler

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm
Hi, never traded tennis before but as I'm retired and at home most days I thought I might have a look at Wimbledon. I thought the way to dip a toe would be to limit volatility whilst using matches that offered something to trade on (e.g. ignore the Murray, Federer etc. matches in the early rounds). So I chose to only trade the first 2 sets, maybe the third in men's matches if 1-1 after two, and where the odds for both players are in a close range around 2.0 (say between 1.70 - 2.40 at the beginning of the set). I made £7.24 from 3 matches yesterday on £10 stakes, not exactly a 'get rich quick' return but encouraging! Would people who trade tennis say that's a reasonable way to approach it first time around or was I just lucky and should approach it differently?
That's not bad for starters. Women's Tennis will have more breaks in it than men's.
firlandsfarm

Agreed Euler and I should have said I was thinking of only trading the first set for ladies i.e. my intention is not to trade what could be a possible match winning set and then stupidly did exactly what I was wanting to avoid ... , ladies match, second set, leader got an early break price crashed. So it did exactly what I thought it would do and wanted to avoid so while it's nice to know my reasoning was correct it hurts double when you put your own foot in the trap you saw! Doh.

Return to “Tennis Trading”