Could it be grass?

northbound

My tennis trading strategy, started two months ago, completely automated, returned on average £1-2 for every £10 invested, consistently every single week in April/May.

Since after Roland Garros, it’s pretty much breaking even.

Does the grass surface change the dynamics of matches a lot?

For example is it more likely that a player adapts better than the opponent, therefore conceding less points than usual on his way to winning a match?
spreadbetting

Dunno about tennis but a 10-20% return on stakes is massive for a bot, surprised it lasted 2 months at that rate.

Grass is a slower surface so you would expect longer rallies I'd imagine.
northbound

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm
Dunno about tennis but a 10-20% return on stakes is massive for a bot, surprised it lasted 2 months at that rate.
Massive yes and it was my first ever successful bit of automation. But there’s a catch: it might not be easy to scale it to bigger stakes.

If grass is not the reason of this slowing down, it might well be that returns are just going towards more normal levels.
Dallas

Its clay that's the slowest surface and produces the most breaks, grass is the fastest and is very serve dominated especially in the mens so will have the least amount of breaks.

But I do agree with SB about the return from the bot being exceptional if that were to hold long-term, although IMO due to the way prices move tennis is the easiest market to create a successful bot for and I'm always surprised more people don't start with tennis over horse racing
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm
Grass is a slower surface so you would expect longer rallies I'd imagine.
Grass is the fastest surface.
northbound

Cheers Dallas, it might well be that the massive returns were due to clay then.

This month (grass) and the next (hard) will tell.

With regards to price movements, I got to agree. Currently working on several “volatility” automation ideas on tennis.
Dallas

northbound wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:50 pm
Cheers Dallas, it might well be that the massive returns were due to clay then.

This month (grass) and the next (hard) will tell.

With regards to price movements, I got to agree. Currently working on several “volatility” automation ideas on tennis.
Hard surface is closer to clay than grass in terms of speed/breaks etc so if you have something working on clay it will likely do so on hard too
northbound

Dallas wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Hard surface is closer to clay than grass in terms of speed/breaks etc so if you have something working on clay it will likely do so on hard too
Fingers crossed

Return to “Tennis Trading”