penalised Serena

would you penalize Serena if you were umpire???

Poll ended at Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 32
Daaniel

Patrick Mouratoglou admitted in a post match interview he was coaching so the umpire was within his rights to give a coaching warning. The drama should have ended there !

Obviously Serena couldn't stop. Second warning: racket abuse, fair warning.

Third warning: verbal abuse, we all heard what Serena said.

I'd say the umpire was correct.

This is not the first time Serena outbursts (2009 Us Open semi final vs Kim Clijsters), not the second (2011 Us Open final vs Sosur), it's actually the third time this happens and every time Serena was in a loosing position ...
Derek27

I don't think many people will buy it - when she says she's standing up for women's rights, but I'm disappointed Billy Jean King made a statement supporting her.
Trader Pat

Daaniel wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 am

This is not the first time Serena outbursts (2009 Us Open semi final vs Kim Clijsters), not the second (2011 Us Open final vs Sosur), it's actually the third time this happens and every time Serena was in a loosing position ...

Exactly and I think something was missed by commentators, pundits and even the internet. That something is Serena wasnt only having a go at the umpire, she was trying to intimidate her opponent, its whats made her so succesful. How many times has Serena been down a break in the first set of a match only to start grunting louder, screaming in the direction of her opponent when she wins a point and giving the evil eye? Usually this sort of behaviour works and the opponent wets themselves and crumbles. Obviously yesterday it went a lot further than that but you can be sure while she was throwing the toys out of the pram she had one eye on her opponent to see what if any effect it had on her.

To then play the sexist card is out of order imo, its an attack on the umpires character and she should be sanctioned for it. I feel most sorry for Osaka though, the whole circus has taken the gloss of what should be the biggest moment of her life, just like Serena's behaviour took the gloss of Stosur's only major win in 2011.
belperbloke

I really can't understand what her outburst had to do with women's rights whatsoever but perhaps it's because I'm a bloke??? All she succeeded in doing was spoiling what should have been a wonderful occasion for Osaka and for that she should hang her head in shame.
Kafkaesque

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:31 pm
Daaniel wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 am

Exactly and I think something was missed by commentators, pundits and even the internet. That something is Serena wasnt only having a go at the umpire, she was trying to intimidate her opponent, its whats made her so succesful. How many times has Serena been down a break in the first set of a match only to start grunting louder, screaming in the direction of her opponent when she wins a point and giving the evil eye? Usually this sort of behaviour works and the opponent wets themselves and crumbles. Obviously yesterday it went a lot further than that but you can be sure while she was throwing the toys out of the pram she had one eye on her opponent to see what if any effect it had on her.

To then play the sexist card is out of order imo, its an attack on the umpires character and she should be sanctioned for it. I feel most sorry for Osaka though, the whole circus has taken the gloss of what should be the biggest moment of her life, just like Serena's behaviour took the gloss of Stosur's only major win in 2011.
Spot on. Regarding taking the gloss from an opponent's big occassion, what really pushed me from thinking it was out of order into thinking outragious was the award ceremony. After telling the crowd to stop boing, it came off as backhanded to me to tell them to make it about Osaka and saying she played well. It's just the one word, but she didn't play well. She was outstanding or any other word you care to use stronger than "well". Serena had the chance to somewhat redeem herself, by truly making it about Osaka, and acknowledge that she was losing fair and square before all the drama. That's the only thing, she could have done to get the US crowd to praise Osaka, as they should had done in that moment. She chose not to. That speaks volumes on her character, and annoyed me more than the preceding events.
belperbloke

Totally agree. I picked up on that as well. As you say she could and should have said so much more. A true sportsperson and champion would have been far more gracious in defeat.
LeTiss

She's a proper piece of shit. She defends her appalling behaviour all the time, either by playing the race card, or by playing the misogynistic victim
Derek27

£13,000 fine for Serena. :D

Should have been £50k.
gazuty

Best journalism I have read on the topic. Not a women are victims or a white man couldn’t hack a black woman challenging them argument.

https://www.vogue.com/article/serena-wi ... aomi-osaka
Euler

It's official, men are being unfairly treated by match officials ;)

http://www.tennisabstract.com/blog/2018 ... penalties/
Jukebox

It is hard to see how misogyny applies in a Ladies only competition where the ladies are paid considerably more for their time on court and on tv than the men are. Ms Williams opponent was also a woman. It is easier to see how being completely obnoxious won't get you any leniency.

Return to “Tennis Trading”