Can you Facetime a tennis match?

spreadbetting

He's thinking of Alex Bird, Dallas, he used to make fortunes betting on the photo finishes on course.
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm
I heard of a professional gambler doing that in the 70's, but surely in this day and age, you can make more money sitting at your desk - especially if there are no photo finishes!
The on course guys have been coining it in for years, even the SIS guys used to be up to all sorts in the early days of the exchange. That 2-3 difference between live and RUK pictures is a massive advantage, the advantage when it comes to ATR is ridiculous these days probably around 7 seconds on some days.
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 pm
Presumably placing the bet himself with the on-course bookies. In those days photo finishes would typically be 1/10, evens (141% overround). It would have been a case of being absolutely certain that the 1/10 has won it.
Gotcha
Dallas

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 pm
He's thinking of Alex Bird, Dallas, he used to make fortunes betting on the photo finishes on course.
It's a wonder the bookies took his bets for so long so he must have had some team of runners around him
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 pm
Didn't realise it was him, but I actually met Alex Bird's nephew at a birthday do ten years ago. Apparently, he was a very generous man. How he managed to be so successful with the bookies overrounds and betting tax of the time beats the hell out of me!
pdenoeud

Dallas wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 am
pdenoeud wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am

Another issue about automation is to get the tennis (or other sport) score live, with a reasonable delay...
The live scores via BF are almost instant, all my tennis automated files are triggered by scores,

There are a few examples files here if you wanted to test the automation capabilities
viewforum.php?f=51

Or id your manually trading the Tennis Trader tool in Bet Anel Pro is invaluable
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13251
I didn't know this feature, thanks for the info Dallas!
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:43 pm
I heard of a professional gambler doing that in the 70's, but surely in this day and age, you can make more money sitting at your desk - especially if there are no photo finishes!
How did he place bets with no mobile phone to communicate when the horses where about to / had crossed the line and where was there partner placing the bets?
It was 1970 Dallas not 1870. :D We had walkie talkies and miniature mics and transmitters/receivers back then.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:30 pm
How he managed to be so successful with the bookies overrounds and betting tax of the time beats the hell out of me!
Back then knowledge was real power. These days when everyone knows every stat it's tougher. Also bookies didn't always have computers working out the odds on 100s of horses, so there were more and bigger mispricings. With no internet, bookies at either end of the country didn't know what they all had. .. but local agents in syndicates did. They did plenty of laying private bets too so could back up in Glasgow and lay it down in a pub in Catford.

The 'information superhighway' killed the old school methods.

You might like this if you haven't seen it https://youtu.be/d9ZUNj5JABI Hearing about those times again reminds me..... RiP Chas Hodges. 😔
bobs71

Regarding horseracing and "in-running" live betting you can still see the same old faces on the replays , positioned at various furlong posts on mobile phones - this guy is well known in that circle - [urlhttps://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/interview-john-mcmullen/][/url]
ShaunWhite

bobs71 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:29 am
Regarding horseracing and "in-running" live betting you can still see the same old faces on the replays , positioned at various furlong posts on mobile phones - this guy is well known in that circle - [urlhttps://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/interview-john-mcmullen/][/url]
Interesting. The common thread with these sort of guys is that they don't just have the info, they have the skills to understand what that information means. I could stand at the 1 pole with my computer all day long and still get mullered.
Kai

All jokes aside it always amazes me when I see how much effort people are willing to put into learning how to cheat in general, instead of actually learning how to trade. Everybody would love to find a way to trade without any real risk, but that whole approach just seems incredibly naive, because (calculated) risk and losses are a normal part of trading. Even if you do manage to cheat the markets somehow, the skill set that you acquire is rarely sustainable over the long period and it can easily be rendered obsolete at any time for whatever reason, because obviously the markets evolve and change over time. You are far better off redirecting your focus elsewhere and investing your limited time into developing a scaleable skill set instead of tunneling on the wrong things.

Not sure if anyone mentioned but someone wrote a book on courtsiding in tennis recently, although Euler did shed some light recently on that whole subject. The nature of tennis markets is rather unique, the way that they constantly have to adjust after each point is what attracts cheaters, so you'll probably not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than a tennis market on Betfair, but there are legit traders present as well. There's nowhere to hide on the ladder of a tennis market, you can't really camouflage your stakes like you can do on other markets so you can actually see what everyone involved is doing if you pay enough attention. A decent Forex trader should obliterate these sports markets, the edges that you can find and develop on literally every sport are ridiculously strong compared to anything that you can ever develop on Forex as a solo trader.

Return to “Tennis Trading”