Australian Open 2019

Black Ice

Naomi really is the coolest female dude I've ever seen on a tennis court..to overcome that pressure & come back and win..at her age...truly amazing!!
Euler

Black Ice wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:34 am
Naomi really is the coolest female dude I've ever seen on a tennis court..to overcome that pressure & come back and win..at her age...truly amazing!!
Slightly socially awkward, I thought she would be brimming with confidence after that win as it sort of rubber stamps her credentials. Curious.
Euler

Men's final is set up nicely tomorrow.
Derek27

Any idea how the match is likely to be played out?

Close match going with serve?
Nero Tulip

Euler wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 pm
Black Ice wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:34 am
Slightly socially awkward, I thought she would be brimming with confidence after that win as it sort of rubber stamps her credentials. Curious.
She was emotionally spent I think. At the end of set 2 I think she was completely out of her shell emotionally, even physically - covered her ears to deal with the crowd noise! i've never seen that before, pretty much wrote it off I think... maybe it was better out than in though, in set 3 she disappeared into her own world it seemed and the ceremony felt like it was almost a surprise to her, particularly to be holding the trophy. She's very introspective, and I'm guessing actually she was not particularly happy with how she acted at end of set 2.

I'd like to see the press conferences to see what she said about it. Agree with black ice though, she is very cool and different, she's seemingly candid and honest, and she's going to win quite a few slams, her game is very similar to Serena.
Nero Tulip

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 pm
Any idea how the match is likely to be played out?

Close match going with serve?
They've played each other 52 times, and among them are some of the best matches you'll ever see... including the final here in 2012, which was 7 minutes short of 6 hours long, no chance of that again due to tie breaks..

it's 27-25 to djokovic, 14-5 on hard courts, 5-8 in best of 5s, but Nadal on clay is a bit of an issue for most people. But - *Nadal hasn't beaten Djokovic since 2013 on a hard court*

Likely a close match, I don't see it being much different to previous encounters. Both returning well, there'll be chances to break for both... Interesting that most hype around their respective games centers around Nadal's improved serve, so we'll see if Djokovic gets as many break chances, I think he will personally, improving a serve by an increment or two won't make much difference against the best returner ever.

If I was guessing, I think Djokovic will take it. Things to watch -

how deep are Nadal's shots landing? if they are deep and with pace on them, then it's definitely game on, short and too much spin, then he's going to have one of his bad hard court days (he's been ripping it deep all tournament).

is Djokovic winning the cross court backhand to Nadal's forehand battle, if he is, Nadal's forehand will drop short for Djokovic to hurt him with shots down the line to Nadal's backhand.. this is the classic way to hurt Nadal, the strategy most people try, Murray was one of the earliest to do this...most struggle to get enough on the CC shot and to hit the line ball consistently enough, Djokovic is good enough.

That said, Djokovic has also taken a different strategy by hitting nearly everything to Nadal's BH. So it'll be fun seeing what approach he takes today.
Nero Tulip

Reasonable example on twitter, notice how a lot of nadal's shots aren't that deep or flat/fast enough...this is not how he's played this tournament, but if his game begins to resemble this, djok will take advantage.

https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1089258687796047872
Black Ice

Come on Euler...that's a bit tough from a man of the world!! The kids only 21..& she is a kid! Remember the Japanese culture...women are very demure. (She's certainly not into Me Too & strong women!!) Handling 'Western' culture & the media must be a whole new world to her...that will come. The fact that she CAN handle it & play such phenominal tennis is what makes her so special. Bol.....cks to post match interviews!!..with her talent & character if she stays healthy..I reckon she will be another Serena!
MemphisFlash

hope this is a good trading game. c'mon Djokovic
Last edited by MemphisFlash on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

I may just watch the final, I don't have a firm angle on it so may just enjoy it.
Nero Tulip

early example of djok softening him up cross court, then hitting it down the line to finish. nadal doesn't look warmed up..
JTEDL

Not trading it, but could be a long one I reckon..
Euler

Djokovic looks very relaxed and confident in the opening rallies
Nero Tulip

shots dropping short there from nadal. that won't do the job..
Nero Tulip

market pricing in very little momentum, expect the price to hold up a lot as many people expect a long match. I like to side with momentum personally, then get killed on comebacks. :mrgreen:

Return to “Tennis Trading”