Simple Question From A Newbie Ref Traded Volume in Ladder

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
plymgary

Hello,

I'm working through the tutorial videos on Youtube and have a (possibly really silly!) question.

In the ladder view I'm looking at the trading volume column. Does this refer to the amount that has been traded as back bets, lay bets, or both? I'm not quite grasping it at the moment.

Also, the odds flash red, yellow and green. I realise that yellow means that the last bet was placed at the previous odds, but I don't understand what happens with the red and green. For example, if that column were to flash red 100% of the time would that mean the back odds would lengthen, whilst the lay odds would drop? And, conversely, were it to flash green 100% of the time would that mean back odds would drop and the lay would lengthen?

I know markets are a lot more volatile than this, but it's just so I can get my head around the mechanics. :)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dallas

The traded volume is total traded so if you see 5K traded at a price thats made up of 2.5K back bets and 2.5K of lay bets.

The flashing of the odds (traffic light indicators) are yellow for same price matched as pervious red for price shorter than previous and green for higher than previous.

So if you see it flash red 5 times in a row that would mean its just shortened 5 ticks
plymgary

Thanks for your answer.
Dallas wrote:The traded volume is total traded so if you see 5K traded at a price thats made up of 2.5K back bets and 2.5K of lay bets.

Thanks. Got it. :)
Dallas wrote:The flashing of the odds (traffic light indicators) are yellow for same price matched as pervious red for price shorter than previous and green for higher than previous.

So if you see it flash red 5 times in a row that would mean its just shortened 5 ticks
So, does this price flashing refer to the placement of money on the back or lay side? Or both? If it has shortened by 5 ticks and liquidity is low, how would this usually effect the market?

Apologies again for not 'getting it'. There's a lot to learn.
Dallas

It means that money has been traded at those odds but if its flashing red and shortening then it will be new back money arriving taking lay money already waiting, and if drifting and flashing green then it would be new lay money taking waiting back bets.
plymgary

Dallas wrote:It means that money has been traded at those odds but if its flashing red and shortening then it will be new back money arriving taking lay money already waiting, and if drifting and flashing green then it would be new lay money taking waiting back bets.
Got it! Thanks very much.
Braulio

Dallas wrote:It means that money has been traded at those odds but if its flashing red and shortening then it will be new back money arriving taking lay money already waiting, and if drifting and flashing green then it would be new lay money taking waiting back bets.
Is there a way new back/lay money arriving can be captured? This may not be possible in the ladder, but maybe with Excel?
ruthlessimon

Braulio wrote:Is there a way new back/lay money arriving can be captured? This may not be possible in the ladder, but maybe with Excel?
i've also wondered this.

financial traders use charts known as 'footprint' & 'market delta', to monitor what you refer to. both are fabulous tools, but i don't think the bf data-feed can detect 'market orders (orders removing liquidity)' vs. 'limit orders (money in the book)'.
Braulio

ruthlessimon wrote:
i've also wondered this.

financial traders use charts known as 'footprint' & 'market delta', to monitor what you refer to. both are fabulous tools, but i don't think the bf data-feed can detect 'market orders (orders removing liquidity)' vs. 'limit orders (money in the book)'.
Don't think bf data-feed can do it yet, but I believe this could be achievable with excel. Let's hope one of the experts will notice this thread to chime in and give us a hand.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”