Sky Loses ATP Tennis

LeTiss

I notice Amazon has won the rights to broadcast ATP Masters events from 2019.

This could have a serious impact on the liquidity of the Masters 1000 matches!

On another note though, what the heck is happening with Sky?
I'm questioning my sanity, continuing to pay them £92 a month

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis ... ments.html
Last edited by LeTiss on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trading96

Sky's new rebrand is just an excuse to not show original programming. Oh no Premier League Football on, guess we'll have to put Premier League Years 92/93 on Sky Sports PL. What a shame.
BetScalper

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 am

I'm questioning whether my sanity, continuing to pay them £92 a month

SKY are doomed where I live. Virgin have spent the last 6 months cabling the entire area of 6,000 homes and businesses. Before we were all stuck with SKY.

They offering a complete house bundle for £80 a month being.

- Anytime phone
- 250 channels inclyding Sky Sports, BT Sports, Movies. (50 in HD)
- 300 MB speed internet
- No line rental

When its switched on next month I think SKY will loose 60% of their customers.
Euler

If I wasn't for being a sports trader I simply couldn't justify sky's cost for sports. Just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much now.
northbound

Since Amazon tennis live coverage will have to be streamed over the internet, It will be interesting to see how many seconds of delay it will have.

THAT could have a big impact on trading volume, unless traders mostly trade "blind", by just relying on a fast livescore.

The last time I tried streaming Sky Sports with their Sky Go app, last year, it had a delay of 50 seconds.
LeTiss

In hindsight, I think the writing was on the wall when Sky allowed Eurosport to grab the US Open.

They had pumped a great deal of money into the US Open for a number of years, in fact it was one of their flagship events, as they had covered that from the early days of Sky. They even used to send a team of pundits to New York

Perhaps tennis viewing figures are generally disappointing, and so they see it as being unviable (especially with Andy Murray's retirement in the coming years)
Orixian

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 am

I'm questioning my sanity, continuing to pay them £92 a month

Im an ardent fan of capitalism and competition improving value for the customer but nothing about the new wave of media companies chipping away at Skys monopoly has benefited the customer at all. BT is horrendously overpriced and we are essentially all paying more for the same. One thing I will say on the Amazon entry is that it is a LOT cheaper now per tennis match than when sky had it as the annual subscription to amazon is infinitely smaller. Perhaps competition will start to work the way it is supposed to and we will see leviathans like Amazon purchase the premier league also. They have some American Football in the US so I hear.

I read that viewing numbers for the televised premier league games were down YoY for the first time last season. There was mention in the article of it being because we will no longer sit and watch things for prolonged periods of time as we are busy with i-phones etc etc but I suspect the real reason is the consumer knows they are getting ripped off and doesn't want to pay for it. I don't know what sky's subscription numbers are like I might go take a look if I get a sec.
Orixian

northbound wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 am
Since Amazon tennis live coverage will have to be streamed over the internet, It will be interesting to see how many seconds of delay it will have.

THAT could have a big impact on trading volume, unless traders mostly trade "blind", by just relying on a fast livescore.

The last time I tried streaming Sky Sports with their Sky Go app, last year, it had a delay of 50 seconds.
Im not certain trading Tennis requires a fast live stream. Most of the set ups I see from tennis traders and Peter on you tube seem to be about anticipating the most likely time of a break based on players, surface, the importance of the break at that point in the match and what the odds will do given the current score. Movements in the market seem to occur so quickly that the price is effectively binary from before the point is played to just after its ended. I don't think any one is seeing the point go against them then removing their bet before the odds adjust as its just to quick. If Im wrong though do correct me, Im not a tennis trader.
Trading96

Orixian wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:10 pm
northbound wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 am

Im not certain trading Tennis requires a fast live stream. Most of the set ups I see from tennis traders and Peter on you tube seem to be about anticipating the most likely time of a break based on players, surface, the importance of the break at that point in the match and what the odds will do given the current score. Movements in the market seem to occur so quickly that the price is effectively binary from before the point is played to just after its ended. I don't think any one is seeing the point go against them then removing their bet before the odds adjust as its just to quick. If Im wrong though do correct me, Im not a tennis trader.
People do that at the arena they predict who is going to win the point as it's playing out, nobody does it via a stream as far as I know.

Return to “Tennis Trading”