massive mistake costing me 209 quid

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
mattyg3033

Hi guys

ive completely fucked up a back to lay today and just dont know why or how its happend. guardian placed the back bet like normal for 40 pounds i have an offset at ten ticks and stop loss at 18 for this trade as the race went in play eventually price came down to my offset but hadnt greened up i then started manually clicking the green up button over and over as wasnt greening then the end of the race came and i was in red for 209 i just cannot get my head round this as to whats happend.

thanks
Matt
sa7med

it probably submitted several green up orders which got matched
Dallas

I suspect it was your frantic clicking, the following thread should explain
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13077&p=111479

If you post up or check your log for that market that will tell you for sure
mattyg3033

betfair has said i backed and layed the horse about 35 times in total i just do not get how ive done this. ok thanks will look now cheers dallas
spreadbetting

Without you posting the list of bets it's hard to say but I'd guess you didn't take into account the in running delay and submitted too many bets
mattyg3033

thankyou dallas that has completely explained my fuk up and a few others in past its ruined a very solid day should be 100 up at least i can move forward now. thanks again
PDC

Too late for now but hopefully will avoid you doing it again, but never use the green up button on the one click screen in a volatile market. You have no control over what odds you are going to green up at and can actually turn what should be a profit into a loss very easily. Use the ladder instead so you know what price you are clicking at.

What you may have done is had your offset submitted as it was triggered but then by the time it hit the market the price had moved and it wasn't matched, you then manually clicked to lay and green up and now had two bets in the market, you then had both matched, so now needed to green up again as you had laid the horse again, so you clicked again, but before that bet was either matched or reached the market you clicked again and now had backed the horse twice, repeat, repeat repeat until you finally ended up with the big loss.

The green up button is a dangerous thing if used in the wrong circumstances. Always use the ladder is my advice and cancel all open bets and or wait for any outstanding bets to reach the market before cancelling them and resubmitting the green up.

Take a break, it isn't the end of the world and lesson is learnt. If it is too much to have lost you are using stakes that are too big.

Put it down to paying for a lesson and try to move on.
mobius

As all the above, good advice as per usual. There's also Reaction Time(human) tools somewhere on this forum. Delay times etc. also discussed.
The screenshot below shows a simple "Oh MY Gawd, I Have Screwed Up" (but that won't fit into a button).
Button called G1.
The trade profit column is BAs very own - and bracketed by
STOP (other bots etc.)and Ubets (number/cancel unmatched bets)

The column is called G10 which was just a reminder to me. (When in disaster mode - who cares) £1 profit will do just fine. So G1 it is.
It was inspired by
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/1 ... rill_mars/
Robot arm to add 'percussive' force so we can drill, baby, drill

Basically "Pass me a BIGGER HAMMER".
Betangel is a wonderful tool - just need to work out how to turn it into a NASA-inspired BIGGER HAMMER.
(Thanks to "Traffic Lights Ltd for the colour scheme)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV//////// (cog crossed out)
screenshot.PNG
NOTICE GLOBAL SETTINGS OFF
Peter has got a fancy new thingy in his latest video (cost £138 from Amazon) - I've got little fluffy sticky pads from Poundland (cost £1) they stick to NUMLOCK 4,5 and 6 (keyboard shortcuts) and are coloured with felt tip pen (£1). Even if the lights go out I can get out out of a fix (thats why fluffy).
I have also lost a few quid (more than I care to admit) - so I went to poundland and got some fluffy sticky pads and felt tip pens (SERIOUS NOTE - colour in pads BEFORE sticking to keys also use old keyboard 'cos it looks like a sex toy out of an oriental whorehouse and do not use in an office or on a laptop).

The automation is ruthless and efficient if there is a quid of profit to be made it will catch it and it doesn't panic I've got other buttons to the right of the screen - but they are for laziness and luxury so they don't matter. (And as Dallas always warns test in Practice Mode) if you have more than one PC - work on main one, test on spare (in PM - your licence lets you run as many copies of BA as you can handle). Use screen recording(also covered in forum) I use flashback and can review progress at 16X speed (cost £free) .

Summary:- spend two quid and time to set up Betangel for PANIC MODE. (or HAMMER MODE as I call it)
Peter makes Betangel look like a precision tool, but it can be adapted (NASA call it a "percussive" - which is handy in polite conversation ;) )
And thanks for posting - I thought it was just me being paranoid. :oops:
As PDC says "Put it down to paying for a lesson and try to move on."
Mobius says "Spend 2 quid - it's worth it." The time cost is your own business.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”