Trading while travelling

A place to discuss anything.
miroos

I would like to trade while I travel around the world, many here have probably done it so I was wondering if they could share some of their experiences. I'm a tennis trader from Croatia and I'm planning on doing a tour of southeast Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia) in January. The plan so far would be to use a laptop with a sim card from a local ISP. Betfair told me that I'm allowed to trade from Malaysia and Thailand but not from Singapore. Would appreciate any advice whatsoever from those who have done something similar. Also, is anyone trading from that part of the world?
SeaHorseRacing

Enjoy the traveling. I know I would.
Dallas

If you use a VPS you can trade from anywhere in the world
https://www.betangel.com/vps/
miroos

Well I don't use VPS because from my experience it's too slow and has delay.
Kai

Sounds pretty good to be honest, if I had any holiday trading stories I would share them np :) Not sure if it's something that traders often do, never really considered it myself.

But I think Euler recorded a few videos on this subject over the last few years, didn't he? I can't seem find any at the moment but I'm relatively certain he did.
Euler

miroos wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:23 pm
I've always used one for the opposite reasons. You can trade on very low bandwidths using a VPS, something you can't do using a VPN. I once traded via a 3G connection on the side of a mountain using a VPS.
Kai

You can probably find some advice on the subject in the two videos below, whether you use a VPS or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQpYsDaItx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-jlQY3kPQ
arbitrage16

Your technology setup is going to be an important factor. ASUS do some excellent screens that are USB and travel friendly.

Also, you are going to very 'safe' spots in Asia. Cambodia and Vietnam offer far more interesting experiences!
jimibt

Euler wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 am
miroos wrote:
I've always used one for the opposite reasons. You can trade on very low bandwidths using a VPS, something you can't do using a VPN. I once traded via a 3G connection on the side of a mountain using a VPS.
similarly (tho just monitoring automation), I was in a remote location (Mull) in august and used an RDP app on my android to connect to my VPS. Purely used it to monitor that everything was going fine and also used sketchy 3G for this. my takeaway on the VPS is that it really is a consistant platform whether trading from a pc at home or on a mobile device out in the boonies.
LeTiss

jimibt wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:46 am
Euler wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 am
miroos wrote:
similarly (tho just monitoring automation), I was in a remote location (Mull) in august and used an RDP app on my android to connect to my VPS. Purely used it to monitor that everything was going fine and also used sketchy 3G for this. my takeaway on the VPS is that it really is a consistant platform whether trading from a pc at home or on a mobile device out in the boonies.
Fantastic post, jimibt. This is why I think it would be nice to have a 'like' button on this forum

Return to “General discussion”