Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

Jeez..... just one more moment of drama please. In our favour.
Dallas

That's killed it
Kai

Shame about the penalty but well done soccer moms.
greenmark

Immense pride. We need to examine the US's collegiate system for producing athletes. With the same support our girls would be top of the world.
Kai

Wow didn't even notice the cheeky tea sipping goal celebration by Alex Morgan, I'd post a gif but don't want anyone to get triggered :mrgreen:

That was obviously a planned celebration, because of their Independence Day tomorrow.
LeTiss

I can't believe what happened last night........if you are 2-1 down in a WC SF with 8 mins to go, and you get awarded a penalty.....what a lifeline, especially when you have the competitions top goalscorer!

Where was she, where was Ellen White?........whilst a CB had the guts to step up to take the penalty, she was hiding like a coward. If she was CF of any note, she would have grabbed that ball
soccersaint

Echo that 100%

I was one of those screaming at the tv...let your top striker take it for gods sake...why or why didn’t she take the pen...Christ we throw it away don’t we !

Glad to say I was in the USA camp for a win anyway but I certainly wouldn’t have minded taking the loss...

Another close game in store tonight ...not sure which way it’s going to go...Holland perhaps have the slight edge given they have more than one player who can hit the net 😁

I love that the girls don’t play to the ref and all that nonsense that’s crept into the men’s game..breath of fresh air...

What a fabulous tournament the WWC has been and the level of play sometimes was a joy to behold....

Well Done All
soccersaint

That Copa America thing is so poor...I can’t believe I stayed up so late to watch a circus in the last game Uruguay having 3 goals ruled out through VAR....Chile having 2 goals chalked off the night before with the help of VAR...
Let’s hope it’s not an epidemic 😷
Last edited by soccersaint on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenmark

Steph Houghton probably was wrong to take responsibility. But courage is a virtue. But overall if you look at the progress of the Lionesses over the years, its an upward trajectory.
And I agree its been very entertaining and you can only see womens football continuing to grow.
Hope they keep their fair play up.
I think its unique selling point over the histrionics of the mens game.
weemac

After becoming sickened of the constant diving, gamesmanship and cheating in the men's game, I've really enjoyed watching these women's matches. But the use of VAR needs sorting out - it's ruining the game, imo.
Euler

I agree, VAR is a nightmare. I am not looking forward to seeing it next year. It really disrupts the game and it seems to add to controversy than remove it.

I think they should keep it, but introduce a challenge system and give the choice to the team captain or coach.
wearthefoxhat

I thought VAR was brought in to focus on key decision areas, ie: Review a goal scored/Penalty given,then reviewed/Red card potential offence.

Also, if the ref makes a decision and then VAR office say, "worth checking that one" the ref can say fxxk off, decision made, unless any of the above. That way the game flows, if a player shouts at the ref, "check VAR" book em (danno) and ask them, "anything else you want to add?"
Kai

I still think VAR as an idea is good but the execution so far is not. The Premier League could iron out the kinks and show the way forward. Would be interesting if a team was given a chance to challenge a decision once per half or something (similar to tennis), you don't want 10 VAR checks per match to constantly break the flow of the game unless they could really smooth it over.
Euler

I'll have no idea if I should cheer a goal now as it seems every other goal is going to VAR. It's completely deflating.

Instead of shouting goal, it's sort of, hurrah we may have possibly scored!
Dallas

The day a South American commentator begins to scream VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Then you know its killed the game

Return to “Football trading”