Binocular out of Champion Hurdle

The sport of kings.
oddstrader

BINOCULAR, the general 3-1 favourite for the Stan James Champion Hurdle, will not run in Tuesday's race after his name did not feature among Sunday's declarations for the Cheltenham Festival Grade 1.

Trainer Nicky Henderson revealed last year's winner of the race had been treated for an allergy two weeks ago and subsequently tested positive for a substance used to treat the condition. The BHA informed Henderson the horse would also test positive on raceday and connections decided not to declare the horse.

In a statement Henderson said: "We have very regretfully had to decide not to declare Binocular for Tuesday's Champion Hurdle.

"He had an allergy two weeks ago that did not respond to initial medication and, on veterinary advice and well within normal parameters, he required a further treatment the following day.

"As we were getting close to the most important race of the year, and also because since that administration to Binocular, another horse had tested positive for the same substance, I thought it prudent to take a precautionary test which not only surprisingly, let alone devastatingly, has also shown to be positive.

"We have, therefore, reluctantly had to take the BHA's advice this morning that the only reasonable course in everybody's interest is not to confirm the entry and he has consequently been withdrawn from the Champion Hurdle.

"We are all obviously shattered but I am particularly upset for JP [McManus] who has been incredibly understanding, as I know how much this horse means to him."

A BHA statement confirmed the Authority had warned connections Binocular would test positive on raceday.

"The Authority received an elective test request from Nicky Henderson this week. The results of those tests came through on Thursday and Binocular had a screening finding for a legitimate veterinary medication," the statement said.

"We all wanted to give Binocular every chance to run, both from connections point of view and also thinking of those that had backed him for the Champion Hurdle, therefore over the weekend HFL tested further samples.

"The results of those tests were still positive. We advised Nicky Henderson and his vets of this result on Saturday night and, bearing in mind that against expectations the levels of the substance were remaining constant, the clear advice was that Binocular would test positive on raceday.

"We were informed following a further conference call with connections this morning that they had therefore decided not to declare the horse.

"Because the horse has not run and because the substance is a legitimate medication, we want to be clear that this screening finding is not a breach of the rules. We will continue to assist where we can in establishing when Binocular tests negative and can therefore race again."

Paddy Power and Stan James announced they will refund all ante-post bets placed on Binocular.

Ten horses were declared for the Champion Hurdle and William Hill make Menorah 3-1 favourite, Hurricane Fly 7-2 second best and Peddlers Cross 4-1 third favourite.

Menorah is also 3-1 with Coral, who go 7-2 about their joint second-favourites Hurricane Fly and Peddlers Cross.

Stan James, meanwhile, make Menorah and Hurricane Fly joint 7-2 favourites.
chrisstan

i think it is a disgrace that betfair have not refunded bets on binocular.he was declared at the 5 day entry period,to all intents and purposes was a definate runner.every other bookmaker has refunded antepost bets on this horse,most of those bookmakers have been going no run no bet for months now,with the exception of betfair,all this has shown us is that we should only bet antepost with the high street bookmakers or internet where they guarantee ur money back.betfair has acted disgracefully in this instance,i for one will be closing my account,going back 2 the high street bookmakers is more beneficial and fairer
rubysglory

chrisstan wrote:i think it is a disgrace that betfair have not refunded bets on binocular.......betfair has acted disgracefully in this instance
Sorry, but i could not DISAGREE more strongly. This is what Antepost wagering is all about and why quite often you receive inflated odds on a selection pre-raceday , pre-final acceptance, pre-barrier draw, known track conditions etc. If you were on the LAY side of the ledger you would be right to feel rather chuffed at the moment.

rg
andyfuller

I agree, betfair have actually for once go beyond what I would expect from them tbh. I believe they void all bets after 8am on sunday I believe on the horse to protect people which i don't think they had to do and haven't in the past. Tbh I think they have set a precedent today which may not be a great thing. I think the people who acted badly.were nick Henderson and the BHA not letting the public know. On the racing post site Paul struthers is quoted as saying they didnt because all bookmakers were no run no bet which clearly wasnt the case as betfair were still taking bets regardless as per normal on such markets. It wast so long ago kicking king was said to be out then matched at one thousand and then turned up and won.

The rules were there to be read, you didnt unfortunately for you.
Alpha322

chrisstan wrote:i think it is a disgrace that betfair have not refunded bets on binocular.he was declared at the 5 day entry period,to all intents and purposes was a definate runner.every other bookmaker has refunded antepost bets on this horse,most of those bookmakers have been going no run no bet for months now,with the exception of betfair,all this has shown us is that we should only bet antepost with the high street bookmakers or internet where they guarantee ur money back.betfair has acted disgracefully in this instance,i for one will be closing my account,going back 2 the high street bookmakers is more beneficial and fairer
I have always Backed Antipost at the high street and layed off in running, that way garenteed a run and a profit

Return to “Trading Horse racing”