Stay safe at Cheltenham

The sport of kings.
rubysglory

Stay safe at Cheltenham

For those that have not seen it, article in Peter's recent newsletter read as follows:

" With big money comes bigger risk and, as Betfair has demonstrated already this year, exchange outages are not a thing of the past just yet. You also need to be aware about your general back up plans in case your main computer goes pop. It can be an expensive occurance if you are comitting larger volumes to the market. I have a laptop nearby permanently connected via mobile broadband with a spare copy of Bet Angel running. It is connected but not refreshing and Guardian automatically switches to each new market throughout the day. If the event of a problem I can exit my position in a flash. I also have iPad with a 3G connection which can connect to a VPS, so that I still have another option if everything fails. I want to give myself the best chance of being safe in the rare event that something goes wrong. While there isn't much that can be done if an exchange is completely offline, apart from having somewhere else to hedge, why not familiarise yourself with Bet Angel's connection modes so you can act in case of an issue. Bet Angel is the only API software that can connect via the Betfair website or API. This gives you more potential options if you think the site is unstable, or when Betfair returns from an outage "

I know I have asked this prior, but, as I live in an area with no 3G, I believe that an ability for BA to automatically place the Offset at SP if unmatched woud be ideal in some of the situations Peter is no doubt referring to. Personally, I have a preference to Lay first irrespective and if I knew my Offset win Bet was (worst case) placed at SP, it would really assist my paranoia of bet exchange outage, internet drop out etc.

Thoughts anyone ?

rg
oddstrader

I do that most of the time anyway RG I just place a closer a couple of ticks out of the range and click is sp , just to cover a worst case scenario , it's not ideal but with a larger trade you need some peace of mind,
PeterLe

Yep just read it too. I'll adopt the same technique OT.
Was also thinking about depositing a bigger sum into betdaq as a belt and braces approach.
looking forward to Cheltenham, but a bit apprehensive too as I will be using my biggest stakes ever..well later in the week I will, once Im in synch with them!
good luck everyone, it would be nice to see some screen shots from us mere mortals too!
rubysglory

I adopt the same approach most times as well guys. Just I feel that if BA had an Auto SP function for teh Offset , with a check / uncheck as required, some of the stress that Betfair is currently causing may disappear. Might only save 5 - 10 seconds, but thats a lot of exposure. Thanks guys.

rg
Euler

Use the spreadsheet function to automatically SP all bets at a preset time before or after the off. You can do this on your main version of Bet Angel in parallel with your current trading or on a very slow refreshing backup version. I do it on via a backup version on a VPS.
rubysglory

Cheers guys.

rg
Alpha322

rubysglory wrote:Stay safe at Cheltenham

and Guardian automatically switches to each new market throughout the day. rg
How is this done, would be a nice feature to my back up laptop
rubysglory

Alpha322 wrote:
rubysglory wrote:Stay safe at Cheltenham....and Guardian automatically switches to each new market throughout the day. rg
How is this done, would be a nice feature to my back up laptop
/

Alpha, this is a strategy that Peter adopts. Probably best answered by some of the others that use these functions daily.

rg

Return to “Trading Horse racing”