Trades incorrectly turning into bets

The sport of kings.
Crumpets

Had an unusual occurrence on a horse race yesterday. Before it had gone in-play (a full 50 seconds), I was fully hedged for a profit on screen. But it appears that most of my closing trades were left as bets. There were no misclicks, and the money won is perfectly explained by 7/8 of my closing orders carrying over as bets.

I wasn't watching live pictures, but my theory is the race did indeed start plenty of time before the market suspension (up to 2 minutes before). And so although i secured a green screen with plenty of time, these exit orders were not honoured; i'm guessing because the race started in actuality with only 1 of my 8 closing orders matched?

Normally at the in-play race suspension, the money on the ladders evacuates. This did indeed happen, but i suspect the race had already started some time prior.

Also, would taking SP guarantee my exit orders were not carried over into in-play bets, even if the race suspension/in-play was not triggered on time?

Appreciate any knowledge ☺️
Dallas

Sounds like either some bets were voided due to the cock up when the race went IP, or there was a rule 4 deduction due to a late withdrawal, or maybe a combination of both

Something really only BF can answer as they'll have all the times the bets were placed and matched and be able to tell you which were effected and why
Crumpets

Yeah I've checked bets placed, and it's clear that only 1 of my closing orders went through...

Would taking SP protect against this in future, do you reckon?

Just nervous. Could have easily gone against me yesterday
Dallas

Crumpets wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:54 pm
Yeah I've checked bets placed, and it's clear that only 1 of my closing orders went through...

I doubt it as you said your closing bets had all been matched (then voided) so there wouldn't have been anything to take SP
Crumpets

Oh wow.

The lesson then is watch live pictures, or close all trades before scheduled starts.

Thanks Dallas
ShaunWhite

Crumpets wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:54 pm

Have you checked bets cancelled?

Throughout the years 'stuff' will always happen, some explicable or avoidable and some not. It's just a matter of money management to withstand a few worst case cockups in a row and an acceptance that 0ev bets missed shouldn't affect you long term, some you win some you lose.
Crumpets

Didn't even think of checking 'cancelled bets'...

So 5 of my 7 remaining closing orders were cancelled. The other 2 I can't find, but i did move 2 closer to the touch price.

Yeah, this is twice now something quite unusual has happened to me. Both times have gone in my favour 😅 Third time's the charm!
Crumpets

Thanks guys
ShaunWhite

Crumpets wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:22 pm
Yeah, this is twice now something quite unusual has happened to me. Both times have gone in my favour 😅 Third time's the charm!
Don't spend freak wins and don't stress about freak losses, probability is a cruel mistress. When you do this 247365 you see all the stuff hobbiests never even think of.

Re "quite unusual", peeple are fast to slag off Betfair but the MTBF is pretty good really given what's going on behind the scenes. The thing is we just see them all.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”